Hong Kong Island Warnings Or Dangers Tips by keeweechic Top 5 Page for this destination
Hong Kong Island Warnings and Dangers: 8 reviews and 13 photos
If you are planning on going up The Peak, watch the weather. When low cloud surrounds Hong Kong Island it makes visibility almost nil in places. The higher you go the worse it is. This photo was taken from my first apartment which was only half way up The Peak. My first 4 days in Hong Kong were like this but when it cleared, it was fantastic. If you go up The Peak in weather like this, you will see zero.
If you are catching the trams at busy times be warned to make your way from the back to the front, or from upstairs to downstairs, long before you need to get off otherwise you will never get past everyone in time. The doors on the tram are also a bit of a death trap if you try and get on at the last minute. Payment is the exact change and is put into a container by the driver on exiting.
Black Rain Warning is issued when 100mm or more of rain is predicted or has fallen. Residents are recommended to stay in doors as flash floods and landslides can be dangerous.
Typhoon warnings are raised at No. 1. At a No. 8 warning, winds gusting to 100 knots, shops and schools are closed. Ferry services and above ground Rail services are halted. People are advised to stay indoors.
Beware umbrellas on wet days, you are likely to have your eye poked out or a pin cushion made of your head. Sometimes its better to keep both arms free to fend off the nylon concaves.
Be careful walking around the Wet Market areas. The pavements are very slippery from the fat washed off meat etc. The pavements are hosed down at the end of trading.
Public toilets are not the best and toilet paper is not usually supplied. Best to carry a supply of tissues or head for hotel bathrooms. In the more upmarket hotels, there is usually an attendant on duty. A small dish is placed on the vanity units for tipping which is pretty much expected. Large department stores also have toilets available.
Sundays are the day the Filipino community (the Amahs etc) have their day off and get together. They congregate around Central - a road is even blocked off for them to mingle, sing and dance and have their little religious gatherings. They also collect around the Star Ferry area Central and at Victoria Park in Causeway Bay. They are all fun loving and its almost like party time when they get together along with all their large packages they have bought to send back home to families but if you are in a hurry and trying to get somewhere, it can take you quite a while to get through them all. After all, its Sunday and no one is supposed to be in a hurry.
More Reviews (70)
- See All Stanley Markets
- See All Shoes
- Hong Kong Stadium
- Packing List
- See All The Buses & Trains
keeweechic's Related Pages
Hong Kong Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Hong Island"
- "Hong Kong Island - Its share of Limelight..."
- "In the Big Leagues"
- "Hong Kong - Pearl of the Orient"
- "Amazing Hong Kong Island"
- "Kowloon Island the Center of all Hong Kong"
- "Visiting Nick"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hong Kong Island
- Hotels in Hong Kong Island
- Transportation in Hong Kong Island
- Nightlife in Hong Kong Island
- Restaurants in Hong Kong Island
- Shopping in Hong Kong Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Hong Kong Island
- See All...
Explore the World
- Brixton Hotels
- Pyskowice Hotels
- `Isfiya Hotels
- Mallica Hotels
- Opstina Kocani
- Belarus Warnings and Dangers
- Civitavecchia Warnings and Dangers
- Waterton Lakes National Park Warnings and Dangers
- Chester Warnings and Dangers
- Tralee Warnings and Dangers
- Other Warnings
- Puerto Banus Warnings and Dangers
- Hilton Head Island Warnings and Dangers
- South Dakota Warnings and Dangers
- State of Rajasthan Warnings and Dangers
Badges & Stats in Hong Kong Island
- 76 Reviews
- 98 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Hong Kong Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hong Kong Island
Photos in Hong Kong IslandSee All Photos (98)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues