"Keeweechic's Hong Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Island by keeweechic
Hong Kong Island Travel Guide: 249 reviews and 786 photos
Prior to the British arriving, Hong Kong Island’s inhabitants was made up of a small fishing population. There is even evidence of farmers and fishermen some 6,000 years ago. The island had little to offer in the way of a potential settlement. It lacked fertile soil and fresh water, it was mountainous and was well known to be a haunt for pirates. British Merchants arrived in 1821 and began using the harbour to anchor vessels carrying opium. They soon realised that this sheltered harbour with its deep waters was an ideal location for trading in the Far East and expanding their opportunities along the China coast. They also sought the location to serve as a naval resupply point. At the time, the trade of opium was highly profitable for British Merchants and eventually with their illegal importing into China, the Opium Wars began and consequently Britain’s acquisition of Hong Kong. When British merchants were imprisoned in Guangzhou and their opium warehouses confiscated, the British foreign secretary dispatched navel forces and war developed. With their strength, the British won easily and were occupying Hong Kong Island in 1841.
Hong Kong Island is 77.5 sq km. Mostly the urban areas are concentrated along the northern shore. The centre and the south coast are dominated by mountains. Victoria Peak being the highest place on Hong Kong Island. Hong Kong Island has five Country Parks aside from those on the mainland. The island shelters the harbour from the South China Sea. Most of the commercial trading houses, bank headquarters and major governments are located in central on land which has largely been reclaimed from the harbour. More than six million people in Hong Kong. About 1.3 million of them live on Hong Kong Island. For the two years I lived in Hong Kong, I also lived on the Island and loved every minute of it. Whenever time permitted, I usually chose to take the star ferry from Kowloon side, especially at night, just to gaze at the splendour of Hong Kong island at night.
Stanley Markets is a wonderful place full of atmosphere to go and shop for clothing, trinkets and souvenirs,... more travel advice
One especially different store to go to is Shanghai Tang – this store was very upmarket traditional and yet modern... more travel advice
- See All Shoes
- Hong Kong Stadium
- Packing List
- See All The Buses & Trains
- See All Low Cloud - Victoria Peak
keeweechic's Related Pages
Hong Kong Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Hong Island"
- "Hong Kong Island - Its share of Limelight..."
- "In the Big Leagues"
- "Hong Kong - Pearl of the Orient"
- "Amazing Hong Kong Island"
- "Kowloon Island the Center of all Hong Kong"
- "Visiting Nick"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hong Kong Island
- Hotels in Hong Kong Island
- Transportation in Hong Kong Island
- Nightlife in Hong Kong Island
- Restaurants in Hong Kong Island
- Shopping in Hong Kong Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Hong Kong Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hong Kong Island
- 76 Reviews
- 98 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Hong Kong Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hong Kong Island
Photos in Hong Kong IslandSee All Photos (98)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues