"Keeweechic's Avignon" Avignon by keeweechic
Avignon Travel Guide: 417 reviews and 1,183 photos
Now the capital of the department of Vaucluse, Avignon was one of the principal cities of the Cavares at the time of the Roman invasion. After the fall of the empire, Avenio belonged successively to Burgundians, Franks and Wisigoths. Twice taken by the Saracens and twice delivered by Charles Martel, it submitted to the Carolingians and became part of the kingdom of Arles and one of the principal towns of the marquisate of Provence. In the twelfth century, it set up an independent commune, electing its own consuls and surrounded itself with new walls and gates. Declaring for the Albigenses, it was taken by Louis VIII in 1226, though in 1251, it fell again under the counts of Provence. Scarcely anything remains of the ancient Avenio, except a few stones built in the walls and some mosaics in the Museum.
Central Avignon is enclosed by medieval walls, built by one of the nine popes who based themselves here throughout most of the fourteenth century, away from the anarchic feuding and rival popes of Rome. Avignon was a lively place when the papacy was here. Every vice flourished in the overcrowded, plague-ridden town, full of hangers-on to the papal court; according to Petrarch it was "a sewer where all the filth of the universe has gathered".
(c) keeweechic 2001 - 2006 (copyright)
Approaching Avignon, the first thing you see as you enter the city perimeters from the south are the walls and towers... more travel advice
Notre Dame des Doms started out as a monument of Roman Provencal art and after many transformations and renovations, it... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Avignon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Enchanting Avignon!"
- "Avignon - Cité des papes et du théâtre"
- "Several Popes and More"
- "The Papacy of Avignon"
- "AVIGNON AND ORANGE"
- "Avignon, perched against the Rhone"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Avignon
- Hotels in Avignon
- Transportation in Avignon
- Nightlife in Avignon
- Restaurants in Avignon
- Shopping in Avignon
- Warnings and Dangers in Avignon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Avignon
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 65 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Avignon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Avignon
Photos in AvignonSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues