"Keeweechic's Larache" Larache by keeweechic
Larache Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 120 photos
Larache is a little off the main roads and is located in the Tanger-Tetouan area of North Morocco. The town was established by Arab soldiers who were based at Lixus, moved to the southern bank of the River Loukos during the 7th century. For a time during the 1470’s the town was unihabited after the Portuguese drove all the residents out. This all changed when the Sultan of Fes decided to rebuild the city and construct a stronghold on the banks of the River Loukos to control the passage.
By the 11th century, Larache became a significant centre of trade. It was claimed to be Morocco’s largest port and provided the main income for the town. Over time Larache was in the hands of many until Morocco achieved independence in 1953. Larache was originally called San Antonio de Alarache. It is also known as El Araich.
Today Larache is still a busy fishing town but also important with their agriculture and with exporting wool, timber and produce. While to date, tourism hasn’t been an important element to Larache, the town is upgrading to hopefully attract tourists to this peaceful coastline of Morocco.
Just north of Larache is Lixus, and ancient site bearing some of the most important Carthaginian and Roman ruins in the... more travel advice
The Balcony of the Atlantic is a popular spot for the locals for either enjoying the café’s and restaurants along the... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Larache Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Relaxing atmosphere of Larache"
- "Keeweechic's Larache"
- "Under Construction"
- "My Moroccan Family"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Larache
- Hotels in Larache
- Transportation in Larache
- Restaurants in Larache
- Shopping in Larache
- Warnings and Dangers in Larache
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Larache
- 28 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (154)
Have you been to Larache?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Larache
Photos in LaracheSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues