"Keeweechic's Devonport" Devonport by keeweechic
Devonport Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 79 photos
Devonport is one Auckland’s delightful historic beach suburbs situated on the north shore. Just a ferry ride from the hustle and bustle of Auckland’s downtown. It is also at the southern point of North Shore City which was one of the earliest settled areas of Auckland. While Maori fortified settlements are believed to have been occupied around there from 1350, European settlements began in the mid 1800’s with farming and shipbuilding.
Devonport was initially referred to as The Island because of its connection by only a narrow causeway (known as Narrow Neck) to the rest of the North Shore. In 1840 a flagstaff was raised on the highest hill (Mt Victoria) and the town became known as Flagstaff.
Deep water anchorage was found nearby and the area became the base for the Navy the area was renamed Devonport after the English naval town. The drydock when it was opened in 1888, was at the time the largest in the Southern Hemisphere and today, the Royal New Zealand Davy still has its national base there.
Boat ownership is high amongst the residents of Devonport. Two local yacht clubs have produced world renowned sailors and designers - Sir Peter Blake who was tragically murdered, and Bruce Farr - both were from Devonport.
The Devonport lifestyle is relaxed with locals being made up of writers, poets, artists, actors, musicians. There is a strong sense of community and some are still residing in the houses where they were born. Devonport has a warmth and coziness and a feel of a time gone by. My morning cuppa always reminds me of Devonport... I got my kiwi coffee mug there.
© keeweechic 2001-2009 (copyright)
Lake Pupuke is a popular recreational lake for all kinds of water sports. On the shores of the lake is an old pumphouse... more travel advice
The Masonic Hotel is one of the oldest still standing buildings on the north shore. The hotel was built in 1866 and is... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Devonport Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Devonport"
- "Devonport (Auckland), New Zealand"
- "Devonport, across the harbour from Auckland city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Devonport
- Hotels in Devonport
- Transportation in Devonport
- Nightlife in Devonport
- Restaurants in Devonport
- Shopping in Devonport
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Devonport
- 35 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Devonport?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Devonport
Photos in DevonportSee All Photos (57)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues