"Keeweechic's Auckland" Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland by keeweechic
Auckland Travel Guide: 1,046 reviews and 2,316 photos
Auckland is the gateway to New Zealand for most International travellers and the largest city in New Zealand. The city has been named by many international survey reports as being one of the top 10 cities in the world to live in. Much of Auckland is built on extinct volcanoes which are now hilly parks and gardens where you can get wonderful 360 degree views of the city. Auckland sits between two large harbours and therefore has the highest number of boats per capita in the World - it is not known as the 'City of Sails' for nothing. Actually, yachting berths in the Hauraki gulf are said to be some of the most expensive in the world.
Auckland has only a population of just over one million which includes the worlds largest Polynesian population and a fast growing Asian community. Other than the water based activities, there are many galleries, museums, theatres, five star hotels, and top class restaurants which offer an extensive range of cuisine.
From downtown Auckland you can take a ferry to one of the many islands like Rangitoto, Waiheke and Great Barrier or just a leisurely 10 minute ferry ride across to Devonport across the harbour and visit NZ's WW2 defenses at North Head. On the weekend there are many markets scattered around the city region from Takapuna on the north shore to South Auckland - lots of good bargains and usually some good food as well.
The waterfront drive is a nice leisurely cruise around the white sandy beaches as well as attractions like Kelly Tarltons Aquarium. The homes around the drive are also some of the most expensive in Auckland with great views. The area though is especially hectic through the summer months. The Round the Bays run held each year also uses this route and its quite a sight to see thousands of colourful runners challenging themselves.
There is no shortage of things to do in Auckland and if it seems like I am biased? Well I am, I was born here and lived her most of my life. I now live overseas but I always call Auckland home, and where my family is. To me Auckland will always be the best city in New Zealand.
More in my Travelogues
(c) keeweechic 2001-2009 (copyright)
- Pros:Most Beautiful Little Country in the World
The Lantern Festival lasts 3 days and on the last night there is a fireworks display. In 2009, it marked the 20th... more travel advice
The Lantern Festival is held at the end of Chinese New Year and continues with the festivities. The timing of which... more travel advice
- See All Crystal Mountain Cafe
- See All Dress-Smart
- See All The New Orient
- Special VT Meet.
- See All Auckland Canoe Centre
keeweechic's Related Pages
Auckland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Auckland"
- "AUCKLAND - CITY OF SAILS"
- "Between Rainforest and Traffic Jam"
- "Auckland - City of Sails."
- "Auckland Area Views"
- "Auckland - City of Sails"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Auckland
- Hotels in Auckland
- Transportation in Auckland
- Nightlife in Auckland
- Restaurants in Auckland
- Shopping in Auckland
- Warnings and Dangers in Auckland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Auckland
- 212 Reviews
- 273 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 35 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Auckland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Auckland
Photos in AucklandSee All Photos (273)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues