"Keeweechic's Rangitoto Island" Rangitoto Island by keeweechic
Rangitoto Island Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 49 photos
Rangitoto Island was originally called Te Rangi i totongia a Tamatekapua (Maori) which means "the day the blood of Tamatekapua was shed". This comes about from a fight between Tamatekapua and Hoturoa who the commanders of the Arawa and Tainui canoes when Tamatekapua was injured.
Rangi (as the locals call her) is the youngest of Aucklands volcanoes but is the largest out of the 48 in total. Estimated to be around 600 years old when Maori’s at the time witnessed the eruption from where they were living on Motutapu Island. The eruption which first began below water level continued over several months until the island slowly became visible in the Hauraki Gulf. They continued for about 12 months.
During the early 1900s the north-eastern coast of the island was used as a graveyard for old sailing ships and their timber was later used to built bachs ( a type of cabin) around the coast. These days, these bachs are no longer allowed.
After being born in Auckland and living there a good chunk of my life, I had never been to Rangitoto Island until my last visit back home. Amazing, especially since it takes little time to get there by boat from downtown Auckland.
The island is covered in pohutukawa trees, which are regarded as the New Zealand Christmas tree. In fact the island's... more travel advice
The Crown purchased Rangitoto in 1854 and it was designated a public domain in 1890. During the 1920s and 1930s... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Rangitoto Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rangitoto, Island Volcano"
- "Just a young one"
- "Keeweechic's Rangitoto Island"
- "Rangitoto Island, New Zealand"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rangitoto Island
- 10 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Rangitoto Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rangitoto Island
Photos in Rangitoto IslandSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues