Lake Taupo Off The Beaten Path Tips by keeweechic
Lake Taupo Off The Beaten Path: 8 reviews and 8 photos
Waimungu Volcanic Rift Valley on the road from Taupo to Rotorua. You will find the world's largest hot spring and the most amazing craters in the Waimangu Valley. These craters were formed during the 1886 Tarawera Eruption. Amazing beauty, spectacular scenery, incredible geothermal activity, a nature lover's paradise of wildlife and plants. Frying Pan Lake, Cathedral Rocks, Warbrick Terrace. A leisurely walk will take you around the hot lakes, boiling springs, silica terraces and native bush walks. Or take a boat trip on Lake Rotomahana, the largest crater of the 1886 Tarawera Eruption to the steaming cliffs, the site of the famous Pink and White Terraces.
Waimangu Valley is found 26kms south of Rotorua (just 20 mins) on the Rotorua-Taupo Highway. Open 8.30am - 5.00pm.
The Maori culture is rich in this area and no trip to NZ is complete without going to a Maori cultural show. See the Maori men perform the Haka (a vigorous war dance), the Maori women perform with their poi`s and sticks and even be asked to participate. The Hangi (cooked in the ground, in a pit with river rocks heated by a fire on top) is delicious and a must to try. A trip to one of geothermal sites is also a must to see the boiling mud pools, hot mineral pools and geysers. There are also the Orchid Gardens, The Maori buried village, The Agrodome, Rainbow Trout Farm and many more interesting things.
Rotorua is only about a 40 min drive from Taupo.
Wairakei is only a few kilometres north of Taupo. You can see the area well before you arrive at the plant by the billowing clouds of steam. This is the site of Wairaki Geothermal Power Station which harnesses the energy of steam bores to produce electricity and minimise the importation of oil.
Mt Ngauruhoe is one of three major peaks in the Tongariro National Park which sits on a central volcanic plateau to the south of Lake Taupo. On a clear day the white tip can be seen for miles and makes a wonderful backdrop to Lake Taupo. Mt Ruapehu is the highest peak in the North Island and is very popular with locals and tourists alike for skiing. There are fully developed ski-fields on several slopes and even a hot crater lake surrounded by snow.
The Waikato River flows a length of 425 km's and out to the sea, It provides many power stations on the way. In the middle of the river just outside of Taupo township is Cherry Island which is a trout sanctuary. There is also a restaurant there for a lovely leisurely lunch. There is a rural feel with numerous animals roaming the island. Open daily, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Signposted off Spa Rd.
From the Taupo 'roundabout' at the north end of Tongariro Street(New Zealand Highway One) take Spa Road east (up the hill.
More Reviews (11)
keeweechic's Related Pages
Lake Taupo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lake Taupo, water, water and more water"
- "Lake Taupo"
- "Lake Taupo"
- "Lake Taupo - Largest Lake in New Zealand"
- "Lake Taupo and its vicinties"
- "LAKE TAUPO"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lake Taupo
- Hotels in Lake Taupo
- Transportation in Lake Taupo
- Restaurants in Lake Taupo
- Shopping in Lake Taupo
- Warnings and Dangers in Lake Taupo
- See All...
Explore the World
- Mashapaug Hotels
- Zhovkva Hotels
- Newby Bridge Hotels
- Beldibi Hotels
- Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region
- Puerto Colombia
- Tallinn Off The Beaten Path
- Konstanz Off The Beaten Path
- Wittgenstein's Grave
- Los Tres Ojos - The 3 Eyes National Park
- Wagga Wagga Off The Beaten Path
- Chiang Mai Off The Beaten Path
- Mississauga Off The Beaten Path
- Buffalo Off The Beaten Path
- Umbria Off The Beaten Path
- West Virginia Off The Beaten Path
- Airlie Beach Off The Beaten Path
- Shrines in Lahore
Badges & Stats in Lake Taupo
- 16 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Lake Taupo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lake Taupo
Photos in Lake TaupoSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Lake Taupo hotel reviews
- Huka Lodge
- 88 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013