"Keeweechic's Albany" Albany by keeweechic
Albany Travel Guide: 143 reviews and 521 photos
The area was first discovered by Captain Vancouver in 1791. It wasn’t until 1926 though that European settlers arrived and started to establish a colony here, the first in Western Australia. Initially Albany was used as an entry point into Western Australia because Fremantle lacked good deep water port facilities. As a result of the gold rushes in the 1890’s and thousands of prospectors pouring into Western Australia through Albany, the town prospered and many of the elegant historic buildings in the town derived from this era. There is still the old world charm and graciousness about the town.
Today Albany’s major industries are tourism and agriculture not to mention fishing. The population is around 30,000. The area which is quite hilly, boasts a dramatic granite coastline with sheltered waterways and white sandy beaches. 409 kms south of Perth, Albany is the regional centre for the Great Southern. During May to October you can view the migration of Whales.
(c) keeweechic 2001-2006 (copyright)
The area has a Mediterranean climate which is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter than Perth. more travel advice
By Air : Albany is serviced by Skywest Airlines on a daily basis. The airports is about 12 kms north of the city. By... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Albany Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Albany - The Rainbow Coast"
- "A L B A N Y"
- "Albany and a Wild Aussirose Story"
- "Albany, an adventure waiting to happen."
- "Albany - a city on the southern coast of WA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Albany
- Hotels in Albany
- Transportation in Albany
- Nightlife in Albany
- Restaurants in Albany
- Warnings and Dangers in Albany
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Albany
- 19 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Albany?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Albany
Photos in AlbanySee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues