"Keeweechic's Augusta" Top 5 Page for this destination Augusta by keeweechic
Augusta Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 96 photos
Augusta was originally discovered by the Dutch in back in 1622. The first European settlers in the area were sealers and whalers to came ashore to seek some protection for the storms that battered the southern ocean. James Stirling founded Augusta and brought with him settlers from the ship “Barque Warrior”. In 1801 Matthew Flinders named the south-western tip of the coastline – “Cape Leeuwin”. Transport to Augusta from Perth was difficult and it took some time for the town to grow. In the 1870’s the town suddenly realized the value of the local forests and the hardwood trees such as Karri and Jarrah, and local sawmills were set up.
Today Augusta is a popular spot for tourists. There is fresh air and safe beaches and during the winter months, Southern Right Whales and Humpback whales can be seen migrating in the Indian and Southern Oceans. Dolphins also sometimes are found swimming amongst the bathers in the Blackwood River. Augusta has a very friendly seaside community feel.
(c) keeweechic 2001-2006 (copyright)
In Summer temperatures are quite pleasant most of the time but can get quite high at times. There is a reprieve from the... more travel advice
Augusta is on the South coast and about 3 and a half hours drive from Perth. Take the South-Western Highway (Route 1)... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Augusta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A town and lighthouse"
- "Last Eating Place before Antarctica"
- "Augusta, beautiful little town on the SW coast"
- "Keeweechic's Augusta"
- "Augusta And Cape Leeuwin"
- "Augusta and surrounds"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Augusta
- Hotels in Augusta
- Transportation in Augusta
- Restaurants in Augusta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Augusta
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Augusta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Augusta
Photos in AugustaSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues