"Keeweechic's Ballarat" Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat by keeweechic
Ballarat Travel Guide: 201 reviews and 499 photos
Ballarat means resting place and used to be spelt as Ballaarat. The early days saw men flocking to the area after gold was discovered in 1851 in search of a fortune. Within one month, 1,000 miners were in the area hard at digging and by 1853, there were more than 20,000 miners of many nationalities working in the fields. By the 1860’s the deposits started to run out.
Ballarat is Victoria’s largest inland city with some 85,000 people. The city has preserved its gold rush history in the form of Sovereign Hill, a recreation of an old gold mining town and the life and times of the diggers of that era. The park was officially opened in 1970.
Downtown Ballarat has some fabulous old Victorian and Edwardian buildings which have been beautifully preserved. There is also Lake Wendoure which was the rowing course for the 1956 Olympic Games in Melbourne. The Wildlife Park also is worth a visit and boasts a Koala display which is the largest and most modern in Victoria.
(c) keeweechic 2001-2006 (copyright)
Geelong is the second largest and most livable city in Victoria and is only one hour's drive from Melbourne. Its name... more travel advice
If travelling from Ballarat to Adelaide on the Western Highway you will pass through Stawell (pronounced Stall). Close... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Ballarat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ballarat in the Central Victorian goldfields"
- "Reason for being"
- "Keeweechic's Ballarat"
- "Ballarat, or better: Sovereign Hill..."
- "A Former Gold Rush Town"
- "Ballarat - The Town that Gold Built"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ballarat
- Hotels in Ballarat
- Transportation in Ballarat
- Nightlife in Ballarat
- Restaurants in Ballarat
- Shopping in Ballarat
- Warnings and Dangers in Ballarat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ballarat
- 16 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Ballarat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ballarat
Photos in BallaratSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues