"Keeweechic's Bendigo" Top 5 Page for this destination Bendigo by keeweechic
Bendigo Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 238 photos
Bendigo’s first discovery was in 1851 when a traveler spending the night in the area saw flecks of gold in slate. Significant discoveries followed this enough to send a Commissioner to establish mining claims. The early years of the town began in 1853 and it was known then as Castelton. In 1891 it underwent a name change to Sandhurst before being officially named Bendigo by the colonial government in 1891. During the early years a lot of gold discovered in Western and Northern Victoria. More than 3,000 Chinese were working on the Bendigo goldfields by 1861. Numerous Germans, Cornish, Irish and Canadians were also attracted to the area which provided Bendigo with quite a cultural mix which all contributed their own style to the existence Bendigo. The town produced some 25 million ounces during the period of 1851 to 1954 when the last gold was excavated from the underground mines. After the gold ran out, the community built laundries, tailor shops, hotels and shops, gambling houses and established market gardens. The more prominent residents at the time were doctors, dentist, architects and lawyers.
Today the city has some very grand buildings which stand testament to its rich past as well as museums which tell the stories of its gold mining past as well as the Chinese history in the area. The Golden Dragon Museum has some very impressive displays including the worlds oldest and largest imperial dragons. The Joss House, built from hand made bricks is also an important centre of Bendigo.
(c) keeweechic 2001-2006 (copyright)
Bendigo is about 160 km north-west from Melbourne. You can drive from Melbourne via the Calder Highway in about 2 hours... more travel advice
There is no missing the Alexandra Fountain – 20 tonnes of Harcourt granite. The base alone has to be 13 ft deep to... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Bendigo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bendigo, the city built with gold"
- "THE HISTORIC GOLD RUSH CITY OF BENDIGO"
- "Sweetberry's Bendigo Page."
- "Keeweechic's Bendigo"
- "Golden past, golden future"
- "BENDIGO......DRAGON CITY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bendigo
- Hotels in Bendigo
- Transportation in Bendigo
- Restaurants in Bendigo
- Shopping in Bendigo
- Warnings and Dangers in Bendigo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bendigo
- 9 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Bendigo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bendigo
Photos in BendigoSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues