"Keeweechic's Canberra - ACT" Canberra by keeweechic
Canberra Travel Guide: 953 reviews and 2,624 photos
Canberra, found in the northern part of Australians Capital Territory, is the capital of Australia and the only major inland city. It is sometimes called 'the bush capital' because of the areas of bushland reserve which extends almost to the city centre. Over half the ACT is classified as national park or nature reserve. The capital and city evolved after a dispute between Australia’s two largest cities, Sydney (3 hrs away) and Melbourne (7 hours away), over who would become the nations capital. The Federal Parliament sat in Melbourne until 1927 when the new Parliament House in Canberra was opened and is now the centre of Australians national government.
Set in a broad valley in the southern tablelands of New South Wales, Canberra is a well-planned lakeside city of parklands, diverse restaurants, beautiful bushland and leafy suburbs. Seen in many of the public buildings are some of Australia's most innovative architecture. Canberra has all the benefits of a cosmopolitan city, yet offers unique benefits in that it is only a two-hour drive to the South Coast and to numerous ski resorts in the magnificent Snowy. There are over 70 diplomatic embassies in Canberra which means that the city is very much multicultural and they celebrate this fact in Autumn when the Canberra's National Multicultural Festival in the autumn is held.
In my off the beaten path tips, I have included places that we stopped or stayed at either enroute to Canberra or after leaving Canberra.
More in my Travelogues
(c) keeweechic 2001 - 2008 (copyright)
- Pros:Capital of Australia
Eden is south of Canberra down the Sapphire Coast in Twofold Bay, NSW. It has the 3rd deepest natural harbour in World... more travel advice
Public galleries overlook both the House of Representatives and the Senate Chambers and you are allowed to observe... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Canberra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful, immoral, tempting and terribly ........"
- "CANBERRA - Aboriginal for "MEETING PLACE""
- "The Bush Capital..or..a good sheep paddock wasted?"
- "A Capital Idea"
- "Canberra Our Home"
- "A Capital City in the Middle of Nowhere"
- "CANBERRA, WE KEEP COMING BACK HERE!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Canberra
- Hotels in Canberra
- Transportation in Canberra
- Nightlife in Canberra
- Restaurants in Canberra
- Shopping in Canberra
- Warnings and Dangers in Canberra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Canberra
- 30 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (154)
Have you been to Canberra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canberra
Photos in CanberraSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues