"Keeweechic's Coolgardie" Coolgardie by keeweechic
Coolgardie Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 66 photos
Coolgardie is an old goldmining town around 550kms east of Perth. Great quantities were discovered in 1892 by Arthur Bayley and William Ford and the town proved to be of an immense national importance especially during what was very much a time of severe depression of Australia.
During the gold rush boom which began in 1892, the town grew to an amazing 15,000 people and was once the 3rd largest town in WA. There was another 10,000 people in the surrounding area. Coolgardie grew in leaps and bounds with the building of 23 hotels and 6 banks not to mention the many newspapers who set up here. The streets were made wide enough for Afghan camel trains who carried supplies to the town. The name of the town is said to have come from an Aboriginal word ‘Coolcaby’ which refers to the ‘mulga vegetation and gnamma waterholes’ in the area.
By the time World War I began, the town was already feeling the lack of further gold discoveries and the town started to decline. Many of the local residents moved on to other towns where gold was still being discovered and Coolgardie virtually became a ghost town.
Coolgardie is around 557kms from Perth. The nearest airport is Kalgoorlie-Boulder. Both Qantas and Skywest operate... more travel advice
This ornate old building was once the Marvel Bar Hotel. This hotel was popular for many reasons. It supplied good cheap... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Coolgardie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Coolgardie"
- "COOLGARDIE WESTERN AUSTRALIA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Coolgardie
- Transportation in Coolgardie
- Warnings and Dangers in Coolgardie
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Coolgardie
- 25 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Coolgardie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coolgardie
Photos in CoolgardieSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues