"Keeweechic's Dumbleyung" Dumbleyung by keeweechic
Dumbleyung Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 34 photos
Dumbleyung is a very small town in the Wheatbelt region, around 267kms south-east of Perth. The strange name is thought to have come from an Aboriginal word ‘Dambeling’ which means sea or large lake. Another thought is that it refers to an Aboriginal game of ‘dumbung’.
The first settlers arrived in the area in 1875 and set up their farms with the bush. They suffered hardship with a lack of fresh water and medical facilities. Finance was also in short supply and the remoteness of the area made it a lonely existence.
During World War I, many of the men of the town enlisted in the armed services. Those that were left behind struggled and some even abandoned their land. The situation did not improve with the years of depression and then World War II. The ones that did remain, continued with their farms and reaped the rewards with high wool prices in the post-war years.
Dumbleyung is found on the Wagin – Dumbleyung Road, around 36kms from Wagin and 44 kms from Katanning. more travel advice
The salt water lake covers an area of 5200 hectares although a lot of the time its bone dry but back in 1964 after a... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Dumbleyung Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Dumbleyung"
- "Dumbleyung and a World Speed Record Story"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dumbleyung
- 7 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Dumbleyung?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dumbleyung
Photos in DumbleyungSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues