"Keeweechic's Fremantle" Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle by keeweechic
Fremantle Travel Guide: 556 reviews and 1,209 photos
Although Fremantle is only 19 kms from Perth, the city has a unique style all of its own. There are many attractions which go in depth into the history of this port city as well as great restaurants and cafes for indoor or outdoor dining. There is a very relaxed feel here especially at the weekend during the summer months with alfresco dining.
Fremantle was named after Captain Charles Howe Fremantle who sailed one of the first three ships which brought European settlers to Western Australia in 1829. He was only 28 at the time but formally took possession of Western Australia for Britain. By 1832 there was a well planned design in place to build a suitable port for the new colony. Whaling and boating building soon took off and the town was first established in 1848. Because of a shortage of servants for the settlers, the first convicts were brought here in 1850. The last of which arrived in 1868 and were Irish rebels who later escaped in 1875 on an American whaling ship.
With the success of the gold rush at the end of the last century, the port thrived and even more so when ocean liners started to arrive. A new passenger terminal had to be built in 1960. A later splurge in visitors came when Alan Bond took the America's Cup away from the New York Yacht Club in 1983 - the first time this had happened in 132 years. This event brought visitors from all over the world and the town increased all its facilities and attractions to cater for the influx. Fremantle is still a very busy port but more for containers ships and large fishing vessels. Boats are definitely a way of life in Fremantle.
- Pros:Great Seafood Restaurants, Great Markets, Great Atmosphere
The rear walls have been stripped of cells. This happened during the 1900’s when they thought the old gaol was about to... more travel advice
The cells were tiny. If you were tall then sleeping was cramped. Inmates were issued 1 blanket and a coverlet. They were... more travel advice
- See All 3.7" Heavy Anti Aircraft Gun
- See All Hotel Fremantle
- See All Kallis Pearls
- See All Kite Surfing
- See All Metrolpolis Concert Club
keeweechic's Related Pages
Fremantle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Fremantle"
- "THE LIVELY PORT OF FREMANTLE"
- "Gateway to the west"
- "Fremantle - Port And Old Town"
- "Adventures in Freo"
- "VT Meet at Fremantle"
- "Fremantle ~ A Charming Port City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fremantle
- Hotels in Fremantle
- Transportation in Fremantle
- Nightlife in Fremantle
- Restaurants in Fremantle
- Shopping in Fremantle
- Warnings and Dangers in Fremantle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fremantle
- 258 Reviews
- 396 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Fremantle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fremantle
Photos in FremantleSee All Photos (396)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues