"Keeweechic's Guildford, W.A." Guildford by keeweechic
Guildford Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 37 photos
The town of Guildford has been recognised by the National Trust of Australia and was one of three original Swan River Colony settlements. Guildford is around 13 kilometres from downtown Perth and was established in 1829 in the layout of a 19th century English market town. A church square was the centre point along with a main street and a grid road layout. In its early days it was a inland port and a market town. Goods were transported via the Swan and Helena Rivers to and from Perth and Fremantle. The rail line opened in 1881 with the line to Fremantle and this changed the development and economy of the town. The rail transport then became redundant.
Stepping back further in history, the Nyoongar people lived in the area for over 40,000 years. In their stories, you will hear of a giant serpent or crocodile like creature, the Wagyl, who travelled from the hills in the east to the ocean in the west and thus creating the Swan River on its way. It is said that the Wagyl’s home is the Swan River where it continues to reside today.
Guildford has some wonderful old buildings as well as many original homes, many of them very grand. Some are open to the public. Today Guildford is seen as the gateway to the Swan Valley, a rich wine producing area of Perth. One of the oldest wineries in WA (Olive Farm Winery) was established in 1829 and their wine cellar is still in use. The oldest church in WA is also in the Swan Valley – All Saints Anglican Church at Henley Brook.
Guildford is delightful for its old world grandeur and antique shopping.
Within Whiteman Park is the Caversham Wildlife Park which covers its own 4300 hectares within Whiteman Park and who’s... more travel advice
There is a fabulous 4 story cascading waterfall which is the largest man-made waterfall. You can walk underneath the... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Guildford Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Guildford
- Transportation in Guildford
- Nightlife in Guildford
- Restaurants in Guildford
- Shopping in Guildford
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guildford
- 36 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Guildford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guildford
Photos in GuildfordSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues