"Keeweechic's Harvey" Harvey by keeweechic
Harvey Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 57 photos
Harvey is located around 130kms south of Perth, around 45kms from Bunbury and set above 36m above sea level. The north of the Shire borders the Shire of Waroona while the sound borders the Shire of Collie. The town is very much a big country town with much of the economy being made up of agricultural industry. In the past there was a big timber industry but there is not much evidence of that today.
In Major Harvey, a British army officer, explored the area around 1834 and in 1839 Captain Stirling who was the founding governor of Western Australia took up a holding on the upper reaches of the Harvey River, about where the town now sits. It took another 10 years for another immigrant, Maurice B. Smith to purchase 160 acres near Lake Preston and become the first European settler in the Harvey District. The next settler was E. Clarke who built a brick house at Jardup 10kms east of Harvey. One of the first buildings in the town was the J Knowles House & Store (1890) and still stands today, well preserved and housing the local folk museum.
Harvey today is surrounded in agriculture with both beef and dairy farming and the abundance of citrus growing orchards. On the recent front are wine and table grape crops in the area. There are a few dams up in the hills behind Harvey with national forest to the south.
(c) keeweechic 2001-2006 (copyright)
- In a nutshell:'A Breath of Fresh Air'
The Harvey Grandstand and Entrance Gates were constructed in 1936. The actual grandstand was built for spectators... more travel advice
The old Roman Catholic Church, was built in 1932 and was used as a church until the new Church was built in 1972. The... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Harvey Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Harvey
- 26 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Harvey?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Harvey
Photos in HarveySee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues