"Keeweechic's Kalbarri" Top 5 Page for this destination Kalbarri by keeweechic
Kalbarri Travel Guide: 176 reviews and 476 photos
Kalbarri is around 167 kms north of Geraldton and 589kms north of Perth. The name is thought to derive from the aboriginal language (Wurdimarlu) meaning ‘edible seed’. Kalbarri is located at the entrance of the Murchison River which was named after Sir Frederick Murchison who was shipwrecked nearby. The first Europeans to arrive in the area were two mutineers in 1629 who were put ashore after their participation in the Batavia mutiny. Like many others to follow, the Batavia was shipwrecked off the Abrolhos Islands. While Kalbarri became popular during the 1940’s, it was not declared a town until 1948. Prior to this the area was known only as the ‘Mouth of the Murchison’.
Very much a fishing and resort town and is popular for not only fishing but all kinds of water sports. Inland there are also plenty of activities such as trekking and between the gorges, bushwalking and exploring Kalbarri’s National Park. There are plenty of tours to take such as up the Murchison River, whale watching, crabbing as well as scuba diving and snorkelling. During the spring the National Park is ablaze with colour from the wildflowers.
During winter and spring you may be lucky to see migrations of humpback whales. There are tours available which will... more travel advice
The Cinema is located at the Rainbow Jungle Parrot Sanctuary. There is a wood fired pizza and snack bar. Tickets can be... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Kalbarri Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Kalbarri"
- "THE JEWEL OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA'S CORAL COAST"
- "Kalbarri, Western Australia"
- "Storm in Kalbarri"
- "Kalbarri ~ Spectacular Gorges and Coastline"
- "Kalbarri, and a lot of things to do and see"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kalbarri
- Hotels in Kalbarri
- Transportation in Kalbarri
- Nightlife in Kalbarri
- Restaurants in Kalbarri
- Shopping in Kalbarri
- Warnings and Dangers in Kalbarri
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kalbarri
- 42 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (154)
Have you been to Kalbarri?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kalbarri
Photos in KalbarriSee All Photos (61)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues