"Keeweechic's Kalgoorlie" Top 5 Page for this destination Kalgoorlie by keeweechic
Kalgoorlie Travel Guide: 176 reviews and 467 photos
Gold Gold Gold.. that has been Kalgoorlies history. A history which has been full of gold rushes, mining and all the hardships that have gone with these in Australia’s early days.
Kalgoorlie is around 600kms east of Perth and around 360 metres above sea level. Prior to a settlement being established, the Mudawangka people (local aborginals) were the landowners. They were the ones that named the area Kalgoorlie, meaning “Silky Pear Bush” in aborigine. Europeans didn’t set up home here until 1893 when gold was first discovered. The first person to discover gold was Patrick (Paddy) Hannan, along with his pals Dan Shea and Tom Flanagan who happened in the town when their horse lost a shoe. This started the gold rush and by 1903, there were around 30,000 people living/working in the area. From this influx came the building of the town with some 93 hotels and 8 breweries being built. The early years were long and hard for the many gold diggers that came in the hope of staking their claim but many were richly rewarded.
Much of the architecture reflects the buoyant times of Kalgoorlie during the 19th and early 20th century. Kalgoorlie is also part of the history of a phenomenal pipeline developed by C Y O’Conner which ran 564km from Perth to Kalgoorlie to pipe water to this very dry area.
Kalgoorlie is the largest inland city in Australia. There is a lot to see in this area of what is termed the ‘Golden Mile”, an area which includes Kalgoorlie’s sister city Boulder. The city was responsible for producing one tenth of the world’s gold. The neighbouring area which now includes closeby ghost towns, was called the ‘richest square mile on earth’.
The Boulder Market Day happens once a month on Burt Street. There are stalls of hand made products and crafts as well as... more travel advice
One of the historic buildings on Burt Street. In 1987, this was originally the Western Australian Bank but in 1927... more travel advice
- The Little Boulder Sweet Shop
- See All Albion Shamrock Motor Hotel
- See All St Mary's Church
- Menzies to Kalgoorlie Classic
keeweechic's Related Pages
Kalgoorlie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Kalgoorlie"
- "Kalgoorlie-Boulder: Dreaming of the Big One"
- "Kalgoorlie - Day 6-7 around Western australia"
- "Rubber goods and skimpies ..."
- "Kalgoorlie, Western Australia"
- "Kalgoorlie for beginners"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kalgoorlie
- Hotels in Kalgoorlie
- Transportation in Kalgoorlie
- Nightlife in Kalgoorlie
- Restaurants in Kalgoorlie
- Shopping in Kalgoorlie
- Warnings and Dangers in Kalgoorlie
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kalgoorlie
- 119 Reviews
- 249 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Kalgoorlie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kalgoorlie
Photos in KalgoorlieSee All Photos (249)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues