"Keeweechic's Mandurah" Top 5 Page for this destination Mandurah by keeweechic
Mandurah Travel Guide: 122 reviews and 280 photos
Mandurah is in the Peel Region is one of Australia's fasting growing city with a population of more than 52,000. The first European to settle in the area was Thomas Peel of whom the region has been named after. He was the cousin of a famous British Prime Minister Robert Peel. He named the area Mandjar, an aboriginal word probably meaning 'trading place' or 'meeting place'. Peel devised a scheme to settle 10,000 people in the area and the British Government granted him 1 million acres to do this. However before he could sail to Australia, the grant was cut to 250,000 acres. Although Peel did not achieve the results he had hoped for with getting new settlers to stay, he was responsible for the development of the Mandurah area.
Today Mandurah is much more than a tiny fishing village. With the development of Kwinana, a major industrial area just to the North, and an alumina refinery to the east in Pinjarra in the 1970s Mandurah thrived and expanded with a lot of its residents commuting to both plants for work. About ten years ago, it became popular as a place for retirement not to mention just a lovely seaside town which it still is today. Mandurah is the largest and fastest growing regional city in Western Australia.
(c) keeweechic 2001-2007 (copyright)
The Mandurah Crab Festival in autumn is the city's major festival event of the year. The festival is set up on the... more travel advice
Mandurah is Western Australia’s largest breeding ground for pelicans. You will see them all around the canals and... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Mandurah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Mandurah"
- "Fabulous Seaside Town On West Coast"
- "MANDURAH MY SECOND HOME"
- "Mandurah - Gorgeous Beach Sth of Perth"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mandurah
- Hotels in Mandurah
- Transportation in Mandurah
- Nightlife in Mandurah
- Restaurants in Mandurah
- Shopping in Mandurah
- Warnings and Dangers in Mandurah
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mandurah
- 62 Reviews
- 88 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Mandurah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mandurah
Photos in MandurahSee All Photos (88)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Mandurah hotel reviews