"Keeweechic's Margaret River" Top 5 Page for this destination Margaret River by keeweechic
Margaret River Travel Guide: 310 reviews and 708 photos
Margaret River is about 270km south of Perth. Over the years it has become quite a tourist spot in the summer months especially with surfers, hiker and in general families getting away for some leisure activities. There are quite a few spectacular caves in the area to explore, some beautiful walks through the national parks and of course the wineries - a huge attraction to the area. Cape Lavender is also a winery with a difference. Other than the great wines and lavender products, the Lavender gardens are reported to be one of the biggest collections in Australia with some 100 varieties on display. Other attractions in the area also include the Metricup Bird Park and the Wardan Aboriginal Cultural Centre.
The town and river were originally named after Margaret Wyche - a cousin of John Garrett Bussell who was the founder of Busselton in 1831. The earliest settlement here was in the 1850's when the area was used for timber cutting. By 1910, there was a post office and a hostel operating here. After World War I, the town really began to flourish. The Group Settlement Scheme was set up to try and attract migrants to Western Australia and open up the good rural land. In 1922 over 100 settlers had moved to the district.
(c) keeweechic 2001-2009 (copyright)
- Pros:Great Winery Area
The cliffs surrounding Cowaramup Bay are made out of Granite and Limestone. The bay is a showcase for the areas... more travel advice
Just outside CaveWorks you can stand on the ridge of the huge cavern and view the rugged walls where the roof of the... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Margaret River Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Margaret River"
- "Heading south"
- "Margaret River - Wineries, Wildflowers & Surf"
- "Margaret River"
- "A cheap skates guide to the Margaret River Region"
- "Cape to Cape Walking Track"
- "Margaret River - not just wineries"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Margaret River
- Hotels in Margaret River
- Transportation in Margaret River
- Nightlife in Margaret River
- Restaurants in Margaret River
- Shopping in Margaret River
- Warnings and Dangers in Margaret River
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Margaret River
- 73 Reviews
- 137 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Margaret River?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Margaret River
Photos in Margaret RiverSee All Photos (137)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues