"Keeweechic's Mundaring - and the Perth Hills" Mundaring by keeweechic
Mundaring Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 80 photos
Mundaring pronounced "Mundahring" in Aboriginal means "A high place on a high place". Especially apt as the town is set up in the Darling Range. While the town is 34kms from Perth?s downtown, Mundaring is considered pretty much a suburb. Mundaring Weir is well documented in engineering history for an amazing achievement by C Y O?Connor in developing the Mundaring Dam which ended up supplying the Kalgoorlie and Coolgardie towns with water.
Ensign Robert Dale was the first European to arrive in the area in 1829. He followed the Helena River upstream to a place which is now known as the Mundaring Weir. There is a belief that he named the river after his sister Helen. Mundaring began its settlement between 1882 and 1884 when British born Peter Gugeri first established a vineyard in the area when the first freehold land in the area was granted. The first railway siding in Mundaring was named Gugeris after the man. When M H Jacoby took over the vineyards in 1893, he named the business the Mundaring Vineyard Company. In 1898 a railway line connected the main Eastern Railway line to the Mundaring Weir site. From this the township grew rapidly to meet the increase in population.
Mundaring today offers a range of bush trails within its forests. There are cycle tracks, bird watching, picnic areas and a wide variety of experiences for the nature lover. The area is also the home of craftspeople and artists who thrive on the inspiration created by the tranquil atmosphere of the hills.
The Kalamunda Markets are open on the first Saturday of each month. Just of the main street, the markets are full of... more travel advice
As you are approaching York, you will pass the turn off to the York Olive Oil Company. Their factory shop sell fresh... more travel advice
Written Mar 8, 2008
Sculpture Community Park
Written Mar 8, 2008
John Forrest National Park
keeweechic's Related Pages
Mundaring Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Mundaring - and the Perth Hills"
- "MUNDARING - IN THE PERTH HILLS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mundaring
- Hotels in Mundaring
- Transportation in Mundaring
- Nightlife in Mundaring
- Restaurants in Mundaring
- Shopping in Mundaring
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mundaring
- 49 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Mundaring?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mundaring
Photos in MundaringSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues