"Keeweechic's New Norcia" New Norcia by keeweechic
New Norcia Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 123 photos
New Norcia is a wonderful little town some 130 north east of Perth and is Australia's only privately-owned monastic town. It is so small, that if it wasn't for the fact of the beautiful architecture, you would also miss it as you drive through it. Originally founded in 1846 by Spanish Benedictine monks, it was a mission for the local Victoria Plains Aboriginal people in the hope that they could create a largely self-sufficient village based on agriculture and introduce Christianity. Dom Rosendo Salvado named the town after St Benedicts birthplace in Italy. Salvado was exiled from Spain when the government dissolved all religious communities in the country. By 1848 the mission had acquired more than 1000 acres of land where they had sheep and cattle grazing. During the 1860s and 70s the monks established a series of wells in the area and horses were introduced and bred. Silk was also produced. During this time there was an Abbey and Salvado was appointed Abbot. He had learned the language of the local Aborigines and was writing important anthropological pieces about the culture and language of the indigenous people. Around the monastery a village grew and was made up of a church, flour mill, schools, hostel and apiary.
Today New Norcia is one of Australia's best cultural heritage sites. The National Trust has classified two of the buildings and the whole town has been registered on the National Estate. The Benedictine monks are still the community and owners of the town and operate a very unique settlement. The town attracts thousands of visitors every year. The main business of the town of course is tourism but the most refreshing thing is that it is not touristy at all. There are no craft and tourist shop except for the Museum Shop which sells a diverse range of goods and gifts which have been made by the monks. Probably the only other place to buy anything is the Roadhouse.
(c) keeweechic 2001 - 2006 (copyright)
- Pros:Australia's only Monastic Town
One of the free last stops enroute to New Norcia (other than the odd petrol station) to pick up any bits and pieces.... more travel advice
South of Bindoon is the town of Bullsbrook - Home of the R.A.A.F. station of Pearce. The base is for pilot training and... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
New Norcia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's New Norcia"
- "THE MONASTIC TOWN OF NEW NORCIA"
- "the only benedictine abbey in australia"
- "New Norcia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Norcia
- Hotels in New Norcia
- Transportation in New Norcia
- Restaurants in New Norcia
- Shopping in New Norcia
- Warnings and Dangers in New Norcia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Norcia
- 57 Reviews
- 78 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (154)
Have you been to New Norcia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Norcia
Photos in New NorciaSee All Photos (78)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues