"Keeweechic's Northampton / Hutt River Province" Northampton by keeweechic
Northampton Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 68 photos
Northampton is a lovely little historic town is just 52kms north of Geraldton. The town has actually been classified by the National Trust of Australia as a Historical Town. First settlers arrived in the area in the 1840’s. The town was first known as Gwalla (after the area’s copper mine) and the area was known as Mines Road District but this was all changed in 1871 to Northampton. The name was supposed to be in honour of John Stephen Hampton who was at the time, Governor of Western Australia and also the town, Northampton in England.
During the 1840’s lead ore and copper were discovered and within the next thirty years some 4,000 tons of lead and copper were being produced annually.
The town lies in the Mid West region, an area known for its wonderful wildflowers. There is also evidence in cave paintings that Aboriginals also inhabited the area. Northampton was also part of the first government railway line in Western Australia which ran from Geraldton to Ajana and passed through the town.
Just 10kms north of Northampton is the independent sovereign state - Principality of Hutt River. This is really something very unique and the history of this principality being formed is fascinating. Well worth taking the time to pay Prince Leonard a visit and hear his story. Close by is also Horrocks Beach (22kms) which has an ideal beach for fishing, surfing, windsurfing and swimming.
Out the back of the memorabilia building is the ‘tea rooms’. Certainly not much to look at and I don’t think they were... more travel advice
Feeling a need for energizing? You can take yourself inside the Kings Chamber of the ‘Pyramid of Hutt’. This is a 5.3m... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Northampton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hutt River Province ~ Independent State in WA"
- "Keeweechic's Northampton / Hutt River Province"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Northampton
- Hotels in Northampton
- Transportation in Northampton
- Restaurants in Northampton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Northampton
- 39 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (66)
Have you been to Northampton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Northampton
Photos in NorthamptonSee All Photos (63)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues