Perth Favorite Tips by keeweechic Top 5 Page for this destination
Perth Favorites: 161 reviews and 139 photos
Favorite thing: A really beautiful native tree in Western Australia is the Australian Christmas Tree (or Nuytsia Floribunda). The tree belongs to the mistletoe family and can grow up to 33ft (10m) or more. Not the easiest trees to grow as it is a parasitic tree and partially relies on a host plant for nutrition. Just a beautiful bright yellow sight when you do come across them.
Favorite thing: The Red Flowering Gum (Ecualyptus Ficifolia) is native to a small area down on the south coast of Western Australia around the Walpole and Denmark area. While you will mostly see the more common brilliant red variety around the Perth area, there are other colours such as light pink through to orange. The flower time is around December to January. This tree reminds me a little of the New Zealand Christmas tree (Pohutekawa)
Favorite thing: Perth was actually founded as a settlement in 1829 but its growth was slow. In 1850 convicts were brought in to increase the labour shortage in the area which followed in many of the wonderful old buildings in Perth being built by convict labour. Perth was always behind the eastern cities of Australia until the discovery of gold in the 1890’s. This not only increased the population but also a building boom – some of which has since disappeared with the growth and modernisation of the city.
Favorite thing: For thousands of years the Nyoongar tribe occupied the area and even then the stone implements found in the area can go back something like 40,000 years. It was not until 1696 though that a fleet of 3 ships arrived at Rottnest Island and the crew proceeded to Cottesloe Beach. It was on this trip that Vlamingh (the commander of the fleet) named the river, the Swan River.
Favorite thing: One of my favourite places in Perth was Fremantle (Freo) which has an interesting history dating back to the mid-nineteenth century. It is not just Perth's port, it is also a very thriving tourist area. Wander down Cappuccino strip, full of cafes and restaurants. Sample some of the best coffee. Sit outside on the pavement under large market umbrellas and watch the rest of the world go by. Visit Fremantle markets and loose yourself for a couple of hours shopping and being entertained by buskers.
Favorite thing: Some of my favourite moments were spent at a lake near my home (Bibra Lake) just sitting watching the pelicans sail on by and feeding the over enthusiastic black swans. Perth has many such lakes scattered around. The Swan River also meanders all through Perth and the black swans can be easily seen in many places.
More Reviews (330)
- See All %Tyr the VIP Capsule
- See All Leisurely Walk or Cycle
- See All Jacaranda Festival
- See All The Indianna Teahouse
- See All Ascot Racecourse
keeweechic's Related Pages
Perth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Perth - Western Australia"
- "Perth - Home of Lovely Beaches & Awesome Sunsets"
- "Here in Western Australia-Perth"
- "My Home - PERTH"
- "Perth...A Home Away From Home"
- "Perth's Newest Hotel , Holiday Inn Burswood"
- "The city on the Swan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Perth
- Hotels in Perth
- Transportation in Perth
- Nightlife in Perth
- Restaurants in Perth
- Shopping in Perth
- Warnings and Dangers in Perth
- See All...
Explore the World
- Gurgaon Hotels
- Greenwood Hotels
- Bucerías Hotels
- Orange Park Acres Hotels
Badges & Stats in Perth
- 336 Reviews
- 595 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 122 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Perth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Perth
Photos in PerthSee All Photos (595)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Perth hotel reviews
- All Suites Perth
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Alderney on Hay Executive Apartments Perth
- 96 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 5, 2013
- Crowne Plaza Hotel Perth
- 236 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- All Seasons Perth
- 223 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- All Season Observation Rise Hotel
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013
- Raffles Hotel
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 12, 2013
- Sullivans Hotel Perth
- 274 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- The Statton on Murray
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 19, 2012
- Antonas Verandah Apartments Perth
- 71 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Canning Bridge Auto Lodge
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Holiday Inn City Centre Perth
- 150 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Criterion Hotel Perth
- 202 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Kings Park- 106 Reviews, 178 Photos
- City Centre- 62 Reviews, 89 Photos
- Fremantle- 50 Reviews, 84 Photos
- Rottnest Island- 44 Reviews, 67 Photos
- The Pinnacles- 20 Reviews, 28 Photos
- AQWA - Under Water World- 16 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Cottesloe- 24 Reviews, 35 Photos
- Bell Tower- 27 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Caversham Wildlife Park- 15 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Zoo- 27 Reviews, 43 Photos
See All Perth Things to Do