"Keeweechic's Pinjarra" Pinjarra by keeweechic
Pinjarra Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 89 photos
Pinjarra lies 86 km south of Perth on the banks of the Murray River. It is a small town close to the coastal more well known cities of Mandurah and Rockingham. Early Europeans arrived in the area in 1829 on an exploration of the Murray River district. At the time they wrongly evaluated the Murray as not being navigable and the land of no use for agricultural purposes. When in 1830 a settlement was finally established by a Western Australian entrepreneur, the new residents were met by strong resistance from local Aborigines. With the conflict that followed, Pinjarra was noted more for its harsh treatment of Aborigines rather than the beauty of the area.
An early Western Australian entrepreneur, Thomas Peel arrived in the area in 1830 and set about to establish a settlement although strong opposition was found in the local Aborigines. In there were so many problems that the Battle of Pinjarra occurred in 1834 and has become one of the most infamous massacres in Australia history for the Aboriginal people.
The historic character of the Pinjarra area was changed noticeably in 1974 on the arrival of Alcoa Australia Ltd who established a major alumina refinery in the area. This arrival opened up job opportunities and resulted in an increase in the population of both Pinjarra and Mandurah.
Pinjarra is in the Peel Region and is one of the oldest towns in Western Australia. There are many well restored historic homes and public buildings. Hotham Valley Tourist Railway has a depot in Pinjarra and you can take a ride back into the past on a steam train into the hills of Dwellingup. Pinjarra also has Western Australia's only heritage rose gardens, featuring 364 varieties of old fashioned roses. There is a Heritage Walk Trail along the Murray River bank to a Suspension Bridge which is imbedded with mosaic tile artwork which describes the Aboriginal, pioneer, youth, railway and forest heritage of the area. Pinjarra and the Peel District can be done as a day trip from Perth.
For me, Pinjarra was the site of a birthday present to myself. I decided to gift myself a dare devil feat of sky diving. I said nothing to family and only told a few friends - numerous appropriate jokes flowed through my work email the day prior to me doing the jump. But this was on my list of "to do's", and this was what I was going to do. And so I did! And Wow!
(c) keeweechic 2001-2006 (copyright)
Pinjarra has a racing club which is Western Australia's leading provincial race track. Their race days are usually... more travel advice
Age: Only 14 years and over can do a Tandem skydive and for an accelerated freefall jump, the minimum age is 16. There... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Pinjarra Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Pinjarra
- Hotels in Pinjarra
- Transportation in Pinjarra
- Shopping in Pinjarra
- Warnings and Dangers in Pinjarra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pinjarra
- 21 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Pinjarra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pinjarra
Photos in PinjarraSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues