"Keeweechic's Pinjarra" Pinjarra by keeweechic

Pinjarra Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 73 photos

Pinjarra lies 86 km south of Perth on the banks of the Murray River. It is a small town close to the coastal more well known cities of Mandurah and Rockingham. Early Europeans arrived in the area in 1829 on an exploration of the Murray River district. At the time they wrongly evaluated the Murray as not being navigable and the land of no use for agricultural purposes. When in 1830 a settlement was finally established by a Western Australian entrepreneur, the new residents were met by strong resistance from local Aborigines. With the conflict that followed, Pinjarra was noted more for its harsh treatment of Aborigines rather than the beauty of the area.

An early Western Australian entrepreneur, Thomas Peel arrived in the area in 1830 and set about to establish a settlement although strong opposition was found in the local Aborigines. In there were so many problems that the Battle of Pinjarra occurred in 1834 and has become one of the most infamous massacres in Australia history for the Aboriginal people.

The historic character of the Pinjarra area was changed noticeably in 1974 on the arrival of Alcoa Australia Ltd who established a major alumina refinery in the area. This arrival opened up job opportunities and resulted in an increase in the population of both Pinjarra and Mandurah.

Pinjarra is in the Peel Region and is one of the oldest towns in Western Australia. There are many well restored historic homes and public buildings. Hotham Valley Tourist Railway has a depot in Pinjarra and you can take a ride back into the past on a steam train into the hills of Dwellingup. Pinjarra also has Western Australia's only heritage rose gardens, featuring 364 varieties of old fashioned roses. There is a Heritage Walk Trail along the Murray River bank to a Suspension Bridge which is imbedded with mosaic tile artwork which describes the Aboriginal, pioneer, youth, railway and forest heritage of the area. Pinjarra and the Peel District can be done as a day trip from Perth.

For me, Pinjarra was the site of a birthday present to myself. I decided to gift myself a dare devil feat of sky diving. I said nothing to family and only told a few friends - numerous appropriate jokes flowed through my work email the day prior to me doing the jump. But this was on my list of "to do's", and this was what I was going to do. And so I did! And Wow!

Photos which are taken by myself and all headings are copyright and digitally marked. Please do not use them without permission. Thanks.
(c) keeweechic 2001-2006 (copyright)

• Intro Updated Aug 1, 2006

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2005 at 3:34 PM

Skydiving looks like a lot of fun, but I bet that first step is a scary one.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2004 at 8:43 PM

..and now for something completely different. More interesting pages!

• salinhopt's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2003 at 7:33 PM

Waw... What a jump, so much courage! :) I would love to do that one day. I love strong feelings! Thank for sahring! ;)

• alza's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2003 at 9:06 PM

Fm the pics, it seems that guy wouldn't take "NO" for an answer. He stuck to you all the way! Good thing too! LOL. You only shook his hand? I would hv thrown him to the ground & kissed him! haha.

• bugalugs's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2003 at 12:33 PM

Oh my goodness, what a daredevil you are keewee!!!!!!! I would have had to have been unconscious and thrown out!!!!!

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2003 at 6:01 PM

You'll never catch me jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.

• CandS's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2003 at 4:35 PM

Fantastic page! What a buzz huh!? :) Well done!!!! Check out my Forbes page, I did it too but solo! Argh!!! Getting out of that plane is definitely hard on your own! ;)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2003 at 7:08 PM

I'm old enough and the right weight, but no way are you getting me to jump out of a plane. I'll hit the club with five bars. Good on ya, KW.

• Irine_29's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2003 at 9:36 AM

absolute envious!!! I am!!! ;-)

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2003 at 11:40 PM

wow, Wow, WOw, WOW.
    I must admit that you look grotesquely beautiful and gleeful jumping out of a perfectly good airplane (why didn't you invite me :O((

keeweechic

“Travel is the greatest eye opener you will ever get.”

Badges & Stats in Pinjarra

Have you been to Pinjarra?

Latest Activity in Pinjarra