"Keeweechic's Rottnest Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Rottnest Island by keeweechic
Rottnest Island Travel Guide: 240 reviews and 544 photos
Rottnest is sandy island about 19 km off the coast of Fremantle. The entire island is only 11km wide and 5 km wide and it is the only piece of land between Perth and Capetown. It was discovered by the Dutch in 1696 and named `Rats Nest` because of what appeared to be king size rats on the island. These rats were in fact Quokkas which are native wallabies found only on the island. The original spelling of the name was "Rott Enest" but has stuck since its discovery and the 'E' was dropped. The local Aboriginal people knew the island as "Wadjemup" which is thought to mean "land across the water". The local Noongar aborinals consider Rottnest to be a house of spirits. A number of ancient aboriginal tools have been found at Rottnest island which date back 30000 years. With the arrival of the European settlers, Rottnest changed in its appearance. Land was cleared and tracks around the island were made. Fires were repeatedly burned from the wood collected. Sometimes the fires were an aid for the Aboriginal prisoners in hunting the Quokkas.
The architecture is quite unique and dates back to the 1800's. There is a varied history of the island being an Aboriginal penal settlement and a World War I camp for 1300 German and Croatian extract prisoners of war. Salt was also gathered and processed here as well as having a World War II military installation there. The island was first used by the Governors of Western Australia as a holiday resort between 1848 and 1919.
Today, Rottnest Island (or Rotto as it is referred to) is a very popular place because of its great beaches and bays. There are plenty of opportunities for recreational activities and the Island authority is actively re-greening the woodland area with reforestation. Many people choose to visit for the just the day and arrive in the morning and leave on the late afternoon ferry.
Malibu Dive and Snorkelling on the foreshore in Thompson Bay offer a variety of equipment you can hire for diving and... more travel advice
There is a general store at Thomson Bay settlement and at Geordie Bay. Any of your general food requirements can be... more travel advice
- See All Boating
- See All Train Station
- See All Rottnest Lodge
- Rottnest Island Movies
keeweechic's Related Pages
Rottnest Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Rottnest Island"
- "IMPREXXION: ROTTNEST ISLAND"
- "Rottnest, but the Australians say "Rotto""
- "Rottnest Island ~ Island of the Quokkas"
- "Rottnest - A great day out in Perth!!"
- "Rottnest Island"
- "Perth's playground"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rottnest Island
- Hotels in Rottnest Island
- Transportation in Rottnest Island
- Nightlife in Rottnest Island
- Restaurants in Rottnest Island
- Shopping in Rottnest Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Rottnest Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Rottnest Island
- 92 Reviews
- 182 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Rottnest Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rottnest Island
Photos in Rottnest IslandSee All Photos (182)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (84)
Latest Rottnest Island hotel reviews
- Rottnest Lodge
- 143 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013