"Keeweechic's Toodyay" Toodyay by keeweechic
Toodyay Travel Guide: 84 reviews and 202 photos
Toodyay lies in the Avon Valley around 85km north-east of Perth. The town has been classified by the National Trust because some of the wonderful old buildings that not only survived but been lovingly restored in the town. Founded in 1841 by Ensign Dale, the name Toodyay comes from the Aboriginal word 'duigee' which means 'place of plenty'. Originally and up until 1910, the town was known as Newcastle. It was changed to avoid any confusion with Newcastle in NSW. The first early settlers arrived in the area during the 1830s and established cereal crops and sheep production. The original site for the town was moved 5kms because of continuous flooding of the Avon River.
Toodyay is a charming country town and a pleasant day trip from Perth. Many of its buildings date back to the convict era of the 19th century when it was once the 'wildest town in the west'. The surrounding areas a picturesque with the meandering of the Avon River through the valley. Toodyay has a lot to offer in terms of variety in terms of walks and things of interest in the historical nature
- In a nutshell:A Valley For All Seasons
York is a delightful old historic town in the Avon Valley, south of Toodyay and Northam, and the state's most complete... more travel advice
The Pioneer Heritage Trail is a 20km drive which retraces the route taken by the early settlers. It also highlights the... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Toodyay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Toodyay"
- "Toodyay - A Country Town 2hrs north of Perth"
- "HISTORIC TOODYAY"
- "Wildest town in the West"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Toodyay
- Hotels in Toodyay
- Transportation in Toodyay
- Nightlife in Toodyay
- Restaurants in Toodyay
- Shopping in Toodyay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Toodyay
- 56 Reviews
- 93 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Toodyay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Toodyay
Photos in ToodyaySee All Photos (93)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues