"Keeweechic's Swan Valley" Upper Swan by keeweechic
Upper Swan Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 145 photos
The Swan Valley is Western Australia’s oldest wine growing area and only 30 minutes from downtown Perth. Because of the Mediterranean climate and rich soil, the valley has something like forty wineries, many of which are award winners and many are family run. There are also several breweries in the area including 5 microbrew outlets as well as 2 distilleries offering handcrafted gin, whiskey, vodka, rum and liquers.
There are many activities on offer in the Swan Valley including horse riding, golf, bush walking and cycling.
The Swan Valley offers a pleasant retreat and a gastronomic experience. Take a tour or just do your own driving around the many places to wine taste or enjoy all the valley has to offer.
Whiteman Park is an area 20kms northeast of Perth in the Swan Valley which has set aside for conservation and covers 10,000 acres of untouched bushland. The Park’s name derives from a prominent local resident, Mr Lew Whiteman who lived from 1903-1994. The Whiteman family arrived from England in the late 19th century and settled in Guildford. During 1940’s Lew Whiteman bought land around Mussel Pool . During 1978 the State Government purchased both his land as well as land from other private owners and formed Whiteman Park. The purpose was to protect a major underground drinking water source which supplied the Perth Metro area.
The park is a favourite place for families and nature lovers to enjoy as well as birdwatchers. Some bird species found in the park are Painted button-quail, Elegant Parrot, Red-capped Parrot, robin, wood swallow, cuckoo’s and even wedge-tailed eagles have been seen from time to time. Within the park there are numerous picnic grounds, carparks, playgrounds, a motor museum, tractor museum and the bus preservation society. There are walking tracks and cycle paths also plus a new area for dogs off-leash exercising. Journey the park via the old electric tram which connects different areas such as the grasslands, swamp, bushlands and mussel pool. Whiteman Park Map Within the park is the Caversham Wildlife Park which covers its own 4300 hectares within Whiteman Park and who's breeding program is officially recognised by Australian Zoos. The park has bred its own wombats, Tasmanian devils and koalas.
Merrich Estate, Olive Farm and Restaurant is open for lunch Thursday to Sunday and for dinner Friday and Saturday. The... more travel advice
All Saints Church sits on a hill overlooking the Swan River. There is a gate and some winding stairs that lead down... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Upper Swan Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Upper Swan
- Transportation in Upper Swan
- Nightlife in Upper Swan
- Restaurants in Upper Swan
- Warnings and Dangers in Upper Swan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Upper Swan
- 57 Reviews
- 94 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Upper Swan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Upper Swan
Photos in Upper SwanSee All Photos (94)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues