"Keeweechic's Yanchep" Yanchep by keeweechic
Yanchep Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 212 photos
Yanchep is about 50 kms north of Perth and is becoming one of the most rapidly developing resort towns in Western Australia. The area is largely known for the beautiful Yanchep National Park. The first recorded visit was by a European in 1834 who was looking for his lost cattle. He recorded the sightings of lakes and abundant game. Four years later the area was explored by Lieutenant George Grey who also discovered some amazing caves. In 1841, the caves in Boomerang Gorge were explored by Governor Hutt and General Roe. The area was also used as a stock route by drovers and the first settler to the area built his house in 1901. He was appointed caretaker and a guide to the caves. Most of the major caves in the park area were discovered and explored by 1904.
When word later got out about the caves, the area became a popular health and pleasure resort. In the 1930’s grants were offered to provide jobs during the depression for the major development in the construction of roads and internal pathways. The Yanchep Inn, McNess hostel and Gloucester Lodge were built. The park became a major tourist and recreational attraction.
Yanchep is situated on the Swan coastal plain as well as right on Indian Ocean. The area provides a wonderful combination of native bush and wetlands. There are several walking trails also to discover.
Yanchep is around 50 kms north of Perth. Follow the Mitchell Highway north to Wanneroo Road. Travel around 25 kms north... more travel advice
Carnaby's Black-Cockatoo's feed in eucalypt woodlands. These birds are endemic to the west of Western Australia. They... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Yanchep Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Yanchep"
- "Yanchep National Park - Koalas, Kangaroos & More"
- "Yanchep National Park"
- "Yanchep - home to Yanchep national park"
- "Yanchep!! the place to be..."
- "Yanchep...on the way to Two Rocks"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yanchep
- Hotels in Yanchep
- Transportation in Yanchep
- Restaurants in Yanchep
- Shopping in Yanchep
- Warnings and Dangers in Yanchep
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yanchep
- 37 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Yanchep?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yanchep
Photos in YanchepSee All Photos (57)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues