"Keeweechic's Versailles" Versailles by keeweechic
Versailles Travel Guide: 657 reviews and 2,428 photos
Versailles lies around 17kms from the centre of Paris and while it is considered a suburb of Paris, it also still has a city staus. The name of the city was first discovered in documents dating back as far as 1038AD but during the French Revolution, the city was renamed for a while as Berceau-de-la-Liberte which meant “Cradle of Liberty”. During the 14th century Versailles was his with both the Hundred Years’ War and the Black Plague and underwent enormouses losses to his residents. By the end of the 15th century, the population only numbered 100 but was on the way to recovery and growth. By the time Louis XV came to power, Versailles was prospering, in fact it was greatly admired throughout Europe for its new design trends in architecture. It was also the most powerful kingdom of Europe.
The Palace of Versailles as we know it today was originally King Louis XIII hunting lodge. It was his son Louis XIV who expanded the residence and installed his court as well as the government there. It was the official Kings residence from 1682 to 1790. During the French Revolution, the royal family were forced to leave and the palace was stripped of all its furnishings. During the Franco-Prussian war, the palace was also the headquarters for the German Army. In 1830 the palace was declared by King Louis Phillipe as a Museum.
The beautifully laid out gardens are recognised as being one of the finest in the world and the largest formal gardens ever created.
Map from yahoo.com
(c) keeweechic 2001-2006 (copyright)
The gardens of Versailles cover an area of around 250 acres. The South Parterre are variations on the fleur-de-lis, a... more travel advice
The Orangery is one of the garden areas of the chateau. There are 1000 trees - made up of orange and lemon trees and,... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Versailles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Grandeur Beyound Words"
- "ON THE STEPS OF MARIE-ANTOINETTE."
- "Moscow - Versailles"
- "When Kings lived in Versailles"
- "The Chateau de Versailles"
- "I can see why they chopped off their heads!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Versailles
- Hotels in Versailles
- Transportation in Versailles
- Nightlife in Versailles
- Restaurants in Versailles
- Shopping in Versailles
- Warnings and Dangers in Versailles
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Versailles
- 14 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Versailles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Versailles
Photos in VersaillesSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Versailles hotel reviews
- Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
- 544 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Pullman Versailles Chateau Paris
- 146 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Ibis Paris Versailles Chateau
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Le Cheval Rouge
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013