"Keeweechic's Delhi" Top 5 Page for this destination Delhi by keeweechic
Delhi Travel Guide: 1,724 reviews and 4,288 photos
Delhi is the 3rd largest city as well as being the Capital of India. With a population of 15.3 million in 2005, it is also the 6th most heavily populated metropolitan area in the world and the fastest growing city in Asia. The city is situated on the west bank of the Yamuna River in north central India, Delhi is very much a international city. It is also a city of contrasts and contradictions blending old with the new (Old Delhi and New Delhi).
Delhi was originally founded in 1200 BC by the Pandavas and was then called Indraprastha. Between the 17th and 19th centuries, Old Delhi was the capital of Muslim India. During this time many of the old mosques, forts and monuments were built in the city. The old rulers enclosed the city with a wall. Within those old walls today you will find busy colourful bazaars and narrow streets and alleys. In contrast is New Delhi, to the south of the old city, is well planned with parks and spacious avenues, much of which was planned by Sir Edwin Lutyens. There are many government buildings and embassies in this section of the city. There are also many of the old monuments and ruins in this part of the city.
"Delhi is the symbol of old India and new - even the stones here whisper to our ears of the ages of long ago and the air we breathe is full of the dust and fragrances of the past, as also of the fresh and piercing winds of the present." - Jawaharlal Nehru
This Sikh temple which can be seen from Humayun’s Tomb has been built on a spot where Guru Gobind Singh apparently... more travel advice
Kingfisher is found throughout India and while I am not usually a beer drinker, I did sample a few on my trip… I am told... more travel advice
- See All Safety
- See All Central Cottage Industries Emporium
- See All In Stark Contrast
- See All Cycle Rickshaws
keeweechic's Related Pages
Delhi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Delhi"
- "Capital city of India Delle"
- "Like the cats, this city had seven lives"
- "Shahjahanabad, as old as its history ...."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Delhi
- Hotels in Delhi
- Transportation in Delhi
- Nightlife in Delhi
- Restaurants in Delhi
- Shopping in Delhi
- Warnings and Dangers in Delhi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Delhi
- 110 Reviews
- 200 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Delhi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Delhi
Photos in DelhiSee All Photos (200)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues