"Keeweechic's Fatehpur Sikri" Top 5 Page for this destination Fatehpur Sikri by keeweechic
Fatehpur Sikri Travel Guide: 239 reviews and 737 photos
Fatehpur Sikri is the ancient city of Emperor Akbar and lies only about 40kms from Agra. With a name meaning ‘The City of Victory”, it was the political capital of India’s Mughal Empire for some 10 years. In 1585, soon after construction was completed, the city was abandoned because of a shortage of water. The capital was then shifted to Lahore.
Akbar chose this site after the childless ruler visited a saint in this area called Sikri, who predicted he would have a son within 3 years. Akbar and his wife Jodhabai did indeed have a son after only one year who he named Salim after the mystic and consequently moved to the place which was to become Fatehpur. The city was built between 1571 and 1585 and was largely constructed out of red sandstone. The complex comprises temples, monuments, tombs, formal courtyards, reflecting pools and includes one of the larges mosques in India (Jama Masjid). An enormous amount of stone carvers and masons toiled on buildings which covered over 2 miles long and a mile wide. The architectural style combined both Islamic and Hindu elements and all building within the complexes are without mortar.
The city lies on a hill top and is made up of two complexes. The Palace complex is made up of the royal enclosure, the harem and official buildings of the palaces. The other complex is the ‘dargah’ of a Sufi saint with the main feature being a mosque and gateway. Today Fatehpur Sikri lies in the Agra district in Uttar Pradesh and is described as a ghost city. It is also listed as a World Heritage Site.
The Khwabagh or bedroom has separate rooms where secret meetings were held by the Emperor and his noble men. It also had... more travel advice
Fatehpur Sikri is connected to Agra and other neighbouring centres by UPSRTC regular bus service. It is about an hours... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Fatehpur Sikri Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Fatehpur Sikri"
- "The GRAND center of Akbar's world...for 15 years."
- "Fatehpur Sikri - The Abandoned City"
- "AN ABANDONED CITY-AKBARS FATEHPUR SIKRI"
- "Fatehpur Sikri-Victory town!!"
- "Fatehpur Sikri"
- "Fathepur Sikri"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fatehpur Sikri
- Hotels in Fatehpur Sikri
- Transportation in Fatehpur Sikri
- Restaurants in Fatehpur Sikri
- Shopping in Fatehpur Sikri
- Warnings and Dangers in Fatehpur Sikri
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fatehpur Sikri
- 27 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Fatehpur Sikri?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fatehpur Sikri
Photos in Fatehpur SikriSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues