"Keeweechic's Jodhpur" Top 5 Page for this destination Jodhpur by keeweechic
Jodhpur Travel Guide: 366 reviews and 1,061 photos
Jodhpur is the second largest city of Rajasthan. Founded in 1459 A.D. by King Rao Jodha, it was deliberately sited on the road which linked Gujarat to Delhi to allow the city to profit from the trading of coffee, date palms, sandals, silk, copper and of course opium. During the 16th century, it was a major trade centre of India.
Jodhpur was the former capital of Marwar and retains much of its medieval character. The best known attraction is Meherangarh Fort which sits on top of a rocky hill some 41.3 metres above the plains. It is one of the most impressive forts in Rajasthan. Most of the fort was built during the reign of Maharaja Jaswant Singh (1638-78). His momument sits below the Fort.
The city is situated on the southern fringe of the Thar Desert. Known as the Blue City due to a great deal of the homes and buildings in the old town being painted in a shade of indigo blue. The blue intensifies as the days bright rays fade. Blue was the colour of the Brahim (member of a priestly section of Hindu society) houses but today even non-Brahim houses are painted blue.
Jodhpurs (the riding breeches) got their name from this city as men in Rajasthan wear a style of trousers which are similar and the name became incorporated in to the British speech during their time in India.
- In a nutshell:The Blue City
This self sufficient little village was a treat to stop at. Other than the request for pens from the children who really... more travel advice
After leaving the Palace Hotel to head back to the alleyways to the road, I was approached by a couple of ladies. The... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Jodhpur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Jodhpur"
- "The Blue City"
- "jodhpur :Glorious Marwar"
- "BLUE SKIES ABOVE BLUE CITY"
- "The Blue City of Jodhpur and Village of Rohet"
- "Jodhpur-the blue city"
- "A blue city sojourn"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jodhpur
- Hotels in Jodhpur
- Transportation in Jodhpur
- Nightlife in Jodhpur
- Restaurants in Jodhpur
- Shopping in Jodhpur
- Warnings and Dangers in Jodhpur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jodhpur
- 66 Reviews
- 150 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Jodhpur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jodhpur
Photos in JodhpurSee All Photos (150)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues