"Keeweeechic's Udaipur" Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur by keeweechic
Udaipur Travel Guide: 581 reviews and 1,846 photos
Udaipur is probably the prettiest city I visited in India and is known as the City of Lakes or the ‘Venice of the East’ because of the canals connecting the lakes. Udaipur is the key city Mewar, the southern region of Rajasthan and is also known as being one of the most romantic cities in India. The city was founded in 1568 by Maharana Udai Singh II after his citadel Chittorgarh was sacked by Mughal Emperor Akbar. He established his capital after a holy man apparently guided him to the site near Pichola Lake. He felt that the area which was surrounded by lakes, forests and the Aravali Ranges would be less vulnerable than where he Chittorgarh was and therefore less likelihood of loosing it. The city did come under attack in later years when his successor Maharana Pratap reigned, however he managed to successfully defend the city.
The city is only around 37sq kms in area and lies at an altitude of 577 metres. Udaipur is a road and rail junction. The main industries are from stone and marble quarries. It is also an agricultural market town. The city is divided into the old and the new with the old city laying on the banks of Lake Pichola. The City Palace complex which was built in the 1500’s occupies a large part of the old city area. The city was once completely surrounded by a wall but there are only some of the remaining gates and pieces of wall in the upper area remaining.
- In a nutshell:City of Lakes
If you get the chance, definite opt for a night of roof top dining. This is offered at many small hotels etc and its a... more travel advice
Udaipur is known as the City of Lakes or the Venice of the East. The city is far more organised and orderly than others... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Udaipur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweeechic's Udaipur"
- "My Udaipur"
- "Mewar Kingdom on Pichola Lake"
- "Udaipur City of Lake"
- "Udaipur - a romantic lakesite!"
- "Udaipur - The City of Lakes"
- "The Venice of the East"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Udaipur
- Hotels in Udaipur
- Transportation in Udaipur
- Nightlife in Udaipur
- Restaurants in Udaipur
- Shopping in Udaipur
- Warnings and Dangers in Udaipur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Udaipur
- 69 Reviews
- 153 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (154)
Have you been to Udaipur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Udaipur
Photos in UdaipurSee All Photos (153)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues