"Keeweechic's Varanasi" Top 5 Page for this destination Varanasi by keeweechic
Varanasi Travel Guide: 655 reviews and 1,534 photos
Varanasi, is reported to have been found by the Lord of the Universe, Shiva. It is one of the most important pilgrimage sites in India as well as being one of the oldest living cities in the world. Known to the Hindu devotees as Kashi, Varanasi (or Banaras) has been for centuries a symbol of rebirth and preserved rituals and traditions of Hindu philosophy. Situated on the holy river Ganges or Ganga, the river front is lined with hundreds of stairways known as ghats. Devout Hindus make pilgrimages from all over India just to bathe in the sacred river. It is believed that bathing in the river Ganges results in the lessening of sins and that dying in the holy city circumvents rebirth. Over a million pilgrims visit the city every year as well as foreign tourists. Varanasi is a major tourist destination for foreign tourists in India. The city has also been influenced by Islamic culture, due to the presence of a large Muslim minority, leading to a unique Hindu-Muslim blend in the culture and lifestyle. Varanasi is located between two rivers Varana and Asi, from which came its name.
Varanasi is also known as the city of temples and learning. There are several universities and colleges teaching a variety of subjects from medicine and engineering to dance and music. The Banaras Hindu University is a university of world repute. Sarnath which is situated just 12 kms from Varanasi is said to be where Buddha preached his first sermon.
Varanasi is known for its small cottage industries, like sari making, and production of other textiles, such as handwoven carpets, and handicrafts. There is also a large diesel locomotive factory which is run by the Indian Railways.
Varanasi is one of those very special places and even if you have never heard of the city, you will surely have heard of the might Ganges. Visiting at dawn is one of the highlights of experiencing the city. You will certainly leave with an indelible memory of a awesome sight.
Older than history, older than tradition, older even than legend, and looks twice as old as all of them put together.
– Mark Twain
- In a nutshell:"Kashi" or The City of Spiritual Light
The best time to visit Varanasi is between October and March if you want to witness some of the major festivals in the... more travel advice
Since Varanasi was known for its silk, I decided to have a silk jacket and trousers made from a tailor in the Raddison... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Varanasi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kashi Banaras Benares Varanasi"
- "Varanasi - the Land of Ghats and temples"
- "Varanasi: Hindusthan's City of Light."
- "Varanasi - The City of Light"
- "Keeweechic's Varanasi"
- "Varanasi - Testament to Faith"
- "Wellcome to the holy city of Varanasi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Varanasi
- Hotels in Varanasi
- Transportation in Varanasi
- Nightlife in Varanasi
- Restaurants in Varanasi
- Shopping in Varanasi
- Warnings and Dangers in Varanasi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Varanasi
- 53 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Varanasi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Varanasi
Photos in VaranasiSee All Photos (83)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues