"Keeweechic's Kaohsiung" Top 5 Page for this destination Kaohsiung by keeweechic
Kaohsiung Travel Guide: 175 reviews and 417 photos
Located in the southern part of Taiwan, the city of Kaohsiung is the island's largest industrial centre. It has managed to stay ahead of Taiwan's recent growth and prosperity in its expansion and modernizing to emerge as an international metropolis. Its origins began centuries ago. Kaohsiung was called 'Dagou' or 'Dahgu' which was the name of the local aborigines living there at the time. In 1563 pirates disturbed this local community by violence when caused the Takuo tribe to eventually move to Pingtung city, their present day home. The name persisted until1920 when the city's name was changed to Kaohsiung.
Kaohsiung Harbour is an important transport point for the Indian Ocean and the Northeast Asia Shipping Centre. Kaohsiung leads the nation in steel, cement and petrochemical production. It is also the fourth largest container port in the world Two-thirds of Taiwan's import-export volume passes through the harbour. Kaohsiung City is divided into eleven districts and is more Taiwanese than the northern cities and its close proximity to the beaches of Kenting makes Kaohsiung a very appealing city to be based.
I flew to Kaohsiung from Taipei on a 3 day trip around the southern part of Taiwan. There was some of the most gorgeous scenery to be seen down there especially the Kenting National Park area and the Taroko Gorge. I didn't spend much time in the Kaohsiung city itself and I think maybe a little confused over the Dragon and Tiger Pagodas and the Autumn and Spring Pavilions, so if anyone can enlighten me if the photos are back to front, please go ahead.
The Bridge of Mother Affection (or Devotion) is also known as Marble Bridge due to the huge marble boulders which have... more travel advice
On each floor of the Tiger Pavilion there are 12 corners. Inside there is a statue of Confucius and paintings of the 72... more travel advice
- See All Weather
- Getting There and Getting Around
- Local Dining Alfresco
- No Time for Nightlife
keeweechic's Related Pages
Kaohsiung Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Revisiting Kaohsiung"
- "Keeweechic's Kaohsiung"
- "Taiwan's second largest city"
- "City by the Sea"
- "Kao-hsiung County (chinese: °ª¶¯¿¤¥«)"
- "My Home City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kaohsiung
- Hotels in Kaohsiung
- Transportation in Kaohsiung
- Nightlife in Kaohsiung
- Restaurants in Kaohsiung
- Shopping in Kaohsiung
- Warnings and Dangers in Kaohsiung
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kaohsiung
- 33 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 43 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Kaohsiung?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kaohsiung
Photos in KaohsiungSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues