"Cheats trip (only one day)" Mexico by pinkduck

Mexico Travel Guide: 21,168 reviews and 50,593 photos

Day trip from Los Angles for shopping

While I say that we have travelled to Mexico it is really overstating the facts - - we went on a shopping trip for one day from Los Angles. -- Admitedly we left early in the morning and were gone all day but all we saw was Tjiwana and the shopping strip and resturants.

We did go out of our way to meet some of the locals (although they could all speak english and were probably used to the tourists) and we did chat a lot to those we met - - especially the barmen who served us lots of Margarteias. - - on this trip this became my favorite drink.

We were also amazed by the Zonkeys which are donkeys painted in black and white stripes to look like zebra's - - would not fool anyone but it is a nice tourist gimick.

The shopping was good (especially for leather) but beware of the fake stuff - - our guide told us to always make sure that they used a lighter on what you were buying as the vynl and plastic sould melt but the leather would not.

Lots of street sellers with copies but give them a miss as the shops are as good in price and you can barter everywhere.

Over all a great place although I was amazed but the poverty we noticed on the drive into and out of the city - - Of course this is not talked about by the guide or anyone else.

Would I go back to the country - - I do not think so - - I need more communication form the locals and there are too many of them that either do not speak english or pretend that they do not speak english. I also think I need that little touch of luxury - - remember that when the maid forgets to turn the bed down and there is no mint on the pillow, is when you are roughing it - - at least that is my philosophy!!!

• Last visit to Mexico: Nov 2005
  • Intro Updated Dec 7, 2009

Comments

pinkduck

“Adventure before dementia.”