"city of Singapore the cleanest city in Asia" Singapore by pinkduck

Singapore Travel Guide: 4,643 reviews and 10,617 photos

Arrival and the difference is outstanding

We flew from Bangkok to Singapore and even before we had left teh airport we noticed the difference between this and any other Asian city we had visited. The city was clean and there were none of the usual "Asian smells" (which we had grown to love) and our first impression was that we were not going to like this place. - - not like Asia at all.

This is correct - - it is not like any other part of Asia at all - - it is different and wonderful - - in a completley different way.

We were met at the airport by a driver and taken to the hotel (which was wonderful - - more about that later) On the way we saw the Singapore Flyer and I thought to myself - - I bet Dave wants to go on that - - and sure enough we had not even unpacked when he was looking up how to get there.

We were staying at the Swissotel The Stamford - -our travel agent recommended it and we had no idea - - it was great!!! We were on the 37th floor of a building that I think had something like 80 floors - - the top tw dedicated to a resturant from which you could see the surrounding countries.

We had planned four tours for the time we were in Singapore but decided to cancel at least one of them as we arrived so that we could see more of the city.

We unpacked and left the Hotel to find our way around - - Raffles Hotel was just next door and we wandered around that for a while and bought a
Gin Sling in the long bar - - we were planning on staying for dinner but thought that we would need another mortgage to do so.

Wandered through the shopping mall that was part of the hotel complex and this was huge. Back to the hotel to change for the evening as we were going to China town on tour (pre booked and paid for in Adelaide)

China town tour was great and we met some nice people - - walked through China town -- the new china town as the old one was demolished nad this one built some time ago -- Had dinner as part of the tour and then they took us on a rickshaw ride through the market and out onto the road to the river where we went on a boat ride to finish the evening.
Back to the hotel for a sleep as tomorrow we fly (Singapore flyer that it)

The Singapore Flyer the underground adn Merloin

Up bright and early and into the shopping centre for breakfast and then off to find the Flyer - - we could see it from our room and knew the direction it was in a(and we bought a map to assist) so we knew that we sould eventually find it - - and we did. The staff could not have been more helpful - - arringing a discount because we flew on Singapore and then a further discount because I was over 60 and I think if I had not stopped them they would have paid me to go on it.

there were groups of school children waiting to go on the flyer and I was a little worried but the staff made sure that we were not hassled by them and put them in a different capsule to us (as it was there were only 4 of us in the capsule.

to go around took over an hour and it was an hour well spent - - the views were amazing and you did not know that you were moving - - it was a wonderful experience.

From here we walked to the Merloin (see main picture) as when I have been in Singapore previously I had tried to get to see it but never managed it so this time I was determined - - bit of an anti climax but I know that I have now done it.

Back tothe hotel for lunch andthen we tried the underground and went into Orchid Road - - I remember shopping here in the past but it was not at the same level as my memory - - maybe I have been shopping in too many places since them I do not know - - anyway it was good but not fantastic.

While we were here there was a thunderstorm and a real heavy downpour (rain) so we sheltered in Svensons Ice Cream palour - - what a shame to have to do this - - I just found them in Thialand and here they are in Singapore as well - - Wonderful!!!

Ate Dinner at the Shopping centre and then spent a quiet night in the hotel (although by the time we got there it was nearly bed time anyway) - - all ready for the zoo in teh morning and then the flight home

The zoo and goodbye

This morning we were dressed adn ready to be collected and go to to breakfast with the orantangs at the Singapore Zoo. Bus trip uneventful (one of those annoying guides who needs to know everything about you) but it was not overly long so it was bearable.

The zoo was great and the breakfast OK feeding the Oratangs was underwhelming but worth seeing. I enjoyed walking around the zoo unaccompanied after the breakfast.

Nearly got lost in the snakle pit and saw lots of animals I had only heard of before so this was a worth while trip for that alone - - one dissabpoinment is that both my battery and the spare battery were flat - - I thought that I had charged them in Thialand before we left but they weren't so I only got a couple of photos.

Back to the hotel to pack (we had a late check out of 1800) and then we put the bags into storage and went to Raffles for anothe drink and dinner - - came back to the hotel in time to get out bags out of storage and wait for the driver to take us to the airport.

• Last visit to Singapore: Nov 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 16, 2009

Comments

pinkduck

“Adventure before dementia.”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Singapore

Have you been to Singapore?

Friends