United Kingdom Restaurant Tips by IreneMcKay
United Kingdom Restaurants: 234 reviews and 211 photos
Rose Street in Edinburgh's new town runs parallel to Princes Street. It is a centre for restaurants, cafes and bars. There are lots to choose from.
We ate in the Amber Rose which was very cheap both for food and drink. We bought meals (chicken and mushroom pie, haddock and chips) including pints of carlsberg, strongbow etc for £6.95. The pub also offered two meals for £8.95. Food was OK, not great, not bad. It was certainly plentiful and filling. A pint of beer cost £2.55 (John Smith's, Carlsberg, Tennants) - a miracle by Edinburgh standards. Bottles of wine started from £6.95- also amazing for Edinburgh.
Quiz night on Tuesday. Live music Friday and Saturday. Much cheaper than eating/drinking in the old town. We were there on a Tuesday not sure if there are the same great deals at weekends.
I would certainly recommend Rose Street as an alternative to the old town for meals.
Comparison: less expensive than average
The Halfway House.
When we visit Edinburgh we normally eat and drink in the Halfway House a tiny pub on the steps of Fleshmarket Close. The pub is extremely small and is not pleasant when overcrowded, but if you can get in and get a decent seat it serves excellent traditional Scottish food among other dishes.
Favorite Dish: My favourite dish here is Cullin Skink - a Scottish fish soup served with bread and butter. I also enjoyed the game pie. My husband is a fan of the sausages in mustard gravy.
Comparison: about average
Directions: Climb up Fleshmarket Close from Waverly Station or down Fleshmarket Close from the Royal Mile.
I had a meal here with a friend on a recent visit to London. This is quite a friendly pub serving breakfasts, lunch and dinner. My friend is vegetarian. There were a couple of choices for him. In the end he went for mushroom and mozzarella ravioli. I had chicken mushroom pie. The food was tasty and arrived pretty quickly. A pleasant spot for a quick and filling lunch.
Address: Opposite the British Library near St Pancras Stn.
Comparison: about average
More Reviews (32)
IreneMcKay's Related Pages
United Kingdom Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Firas in Wonderland"
- "My U.K. - a home I love very dearly."
- "United Kingdom Adventure"
- "A Taste of Real Britain - Tourist Information"
- "UNITED KINGDOM"
- "Jet Ski!"
- "Christmas 2010"
- See All...
- Things to Do in United Kingdom
- Hotels in United Kingdom
- Transportation in United Kingdom
- Nightlife in United Kingdom
- Restaurants in United Kingdom
- Shopping in United Kingdom
- Warnings and Dangers in United Kingdom
- See All...
Explore the World
- South Toledo Bend Hotels
- Toolern Vale Hotels
- Balrath Hotels
- Vale of Glamorgan Hotels
- Gura Humorului
Badges & Stats in United Kingdom
- 50 Reviews
- 110 Photos
- 57 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to United Kingdom?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in United Kingdom
Top 10 Pages
- Hong Kong Intro, 53 reviews, 122 photos
- Melaka Intro, 34 reviews, 112 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 41 reviews, 97 photos
- Dubai Intro, 39 reviews, 98 photos
- Luang Prabang Intro, 33 reviews, 95 photos
- Rome Intro, 32 reviews, 95 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 35 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Reykjavík Intro, 25 reviews, 80 photos
- Madrid Intro, 27 reviews, 63 photos
- Seoul Intro, 21 reviews, 68 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (52)
Top United Kingdom hotels
- London Hotels
- 23330 Reviews - 48936 Photos
- Blackpool Hotels
- 481 Reviews - 891 Photos
- Llandudno Hotels
- 243 Reviews - 479 Photos
- Edinburgh Hotels
- 3411 Reviews - 6786 Photos
- Manchester Hotels
- 1742 Reviews - 4036 Photos
- Torquay Hotels
- 180 Reviews - 356 Photos
- York Hotels
- 1631 Reviews - 3985 Photos
- Bournemouth Hotels
- 207 Reviews - 462 Photos
- Glasgow Hotels
- 1241 Reviews - 2065 Photos
- Liverpool Hotels
- 1280 Reviews - 2297 Photos
- Scarborough Hotels
- 276 Reviews - 409 Photos
- Eastbourne Hotels
- 94 Reviews - 207 Photos
- Birmingham Hotels
- 766 Reviews - 1269 Photos
- Whitby Hotels
- 355 Reviews - 746 Photos
- Chester Hotels
- 471 Reviews - 1183 Photos