"Friendly Fukuoka" Top 5 Page for this destination Fukuoka by IreneMcKay

Fukuoka Travel Guide: 258 reviews and 453 photos

Fukuoka - Should we go or not?

Just returned from a wonderful trip to Fukuoka, but with Japan experiencing earthquakes, tidal waves and radiation we almost did not go. Just before leaving Hong Kong for Fukuoka my husband managed to injure his back and severely damage one of his toes. On our way to catch the bus to Hong Kong Airport his bag caught on a paving stone causing him to fall flat on his face. We still made it to the bus and all was going fine till a car pulled out in front of the bus without warning and we almost crashed. Was someone trying to tell us not to go? Well, despite everything, we made it and so glad we did because everything in Fukuoka is perfectly normal and it turned out to be one of the friendliest Japanese cities we have ever visited.

Starting from our arrival in Fukuoka Airport when the man from the information desk saw us looking a bit confused and came over to explain that we had to take the free shuttle bus from stance one to the domestic terminal to catch the subway, through the old gentleman who saw us glance at a map outside Namasu Subway Station and came over and took us to our hotel, then on to the lady who found us totally lost when we changed to a hotel in Hakata and walked 10 minutes out of her way to take us to our second hotel and through the countless people who saw us taking photos and came over and offered to take a photo of us both together I would have to say it was the friendliest place I have ever been. Fukuoka's people make it a wonderful destination.

I am so glad we went.

City of Water

Fukuoka is a very modern city but it is a wonderful place to wander around as so much of it is located on water. There is the sea, the Naka Gawa River, many canals, lakes, moats and ponds. All that water makes for some very lovely views and gives Fukuoka a wide open, spacious feel.

What to do in Fukuoka

We spent our time in Fukuoka visiting its ruined castle, parks, the beach, several temples and some of the fancy new shopping centres. We also devoted quite a bit of time to enjoying the food and drink. My husband did very well despite the bad toe and bad back, though occasionally when he tired I did have to park him on a park bench with a supply of beer and explore a little on my own.

Just finished revisiting Fukuoka from 22nd to 26th October. Such a short break that we decided to return to somewhere we already knew. Spent most of our evenings based in Fukuoka but travelled around on a Northern Kyushu Rail Pass by day. Another superb stay and this time without the bad luck.

Just completed visit number 3 - 21st October to 24th October 2012. Again very short, but very enjoyable. As well as seeing a bit more of Fukuoka and revisiting some favourite places, we bought a rail pass and headed to Kitakyushu and Nagasaki.

• Pros:very friendly, easy to get around by subway, good food
  • Last visit to Fukuoka: Oct 2012
  • Intro Updated Jun 23, 2013

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2011 at 4:51 AM

Thanks for your story, Irene!~

• SallyM's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2011 at 4:04 AM

I really enjoyed Fukuoka too. I completely agree with your list of 'pros'!

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2011 at 3:30 AM

Great you were able to see and do so much after that inauspicious start - and to come across a Shinto wedding too ! Interesting page.

IreneMcKay

“get out and see as much as you can”

Badges & Stats in Fukuoka

Have you been to Fukuoka?

Latest Activity in Fukuoka