"Day trip to Sighisoara" Sighisoara by IreneMcKay
Sighisoara Travel Guide: 397 reviews and 1,090 photos
We decided to visit Sighisoara as a day trip from Brasov. It was quite a long trip for a day - 3 hours to get there by accelerat style train and just over 2 hours back. We choose this style of train due to convenient departure times; leaving after 9am and returning after 7pm. We had ample time to see Sighisora and have a meal there, because the old citadel of Sighisoara is small and all the sights are close together.
We did not realise that we would arrive in Sighisoara during its festival. Due to the festival we had to pay 10 Ron to enter the old part of the city, but when we got in, there was lots of festival related activity: people wandering around in mediaeval costumes, battles, music, food cooked in large cauldrons suspended over open fires etc. It was interesting but crowded.
Sighiosara is a fortified Saxon town. Its old town is located on a hilltop and is still partially surrounded by towers, gates and walls. Its most famous building is its lovely old clock tower. Its claim to fame is that it was the birth place of Vlad Tepes; Vlad the Impaler on whom the Dracula legend is based.
- Pros:Interesting, good condition, compact
When you walk from the railway station to the old town you will pass a beautiful orthodox church located on the river.... more travel advice
Sighisoara was originally a Saxon town known as Castrum Sex - Fort Six. In the fourteenth century the town was... more travel advice
IreneMcKay's Related Pages
Sighisoara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE MOST BEAUTIFULL TOWN IN ROMANIA"
- "Sigishoara - Medieval pearl of Transylvania"
- "Sighişoara: "Dracula's" home town"
- "Dracula's True Birthplace"
- "Sighisoara-an UNESCO World Heritage site"
- "Sighisoara - Doesn't need to rely on Dracula"
- "Sighisoara - Schaessburg - Segesvar"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sighisoara
- Hotels in Sighisoara
- Transportation in Sighisoara
- Nightlife in Sighisoara
- Restaurants in Sighisoara
- Shopping in Sighisoara
- Warnings and Dangers in Sighisoara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sighisoara
- 6 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Sighisoara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sighisoara
Photos in SighisoaraSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Hong Kong Intro, 53 reviews, 122 photos
- Melaka Intro, 34 reviews, 112 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 41 reviews, 97 photos
- Dubai Intro, 39 reviews, 98 photos
- Luang Prabang Intro, 33 reviews, 95 photos
- Rome Intro, 32 reviews, 95 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 35 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Reykjavík Intro, 25 reviews, 80 photos
- Madrid Intro, 27 reviews, 63 photos
- Seoul Intro, 21 reviews, 68 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (52)
Latest Sighisoara hotel reviews
- Hotel Binder Bubi
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Gia Hostel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 9, 2013
- Casa Wagner
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Burg Hostel
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Nathans Villa Sighisoara
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 4, 2012
- 82 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Hotel Restaurant Europa 2000
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 28, 2009
- Legend House
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 2, 2013