"Madrid" Madrid by IreneMcKay
Madrid Travel Guide: 5,353 reviews and 10,916 photos
This was our first visit to Spain. We spent an evening and one full day in Madrid before flying off to Lisbon for a few days. Then back to Madrid for three full days. Our original intention had been to spend two of those days on daytrips to Toledo and either Segovia or Avilla, but when we returned to Madrid, I got really ill and while I refused to stay in bed, it took me all my time to look at Madrid never mind go anywhere else. Oh well, such is life. This gave us the opportunity to see more of Madrid and do our favourite bits again in a more relaxed manner.
We started our holiday by staying in a hotel in Barajas and travelling in to the city. Although the journey in took a while, it was worth it for the relative peace and quiet at night. For the second part of our trip, we stayed in a hotel in Alsacia which also proved to be nice and quiet, plus it was on the red metro line number two which is the most useful line for sightseeing.
Among the things we enjoyed in Madrid I would highly rate the beautiful cathedral which can be seen from so many parts of the city. I loved Retriro Park. We had a great picnic in the rose garden there and even in December there were still some beautiful roses. It must be stunning in summer. I loved the views especially watching the sunset from Parque de la Montana (Mountain Park) and I loved the Cervantes sculptures in Plaza de Espana. Plus there was always just such a lot of street life and activity going on with crowds of locals, revellers, tourists thronging the streets, street entertainers and people in fancy dress everywhere. Madrid certainly had atmosphere.
- Pros:Lots to see and do, lots going on at all times, good public transport.
- Cons:Changing lines on the metro can prove epic especially with luggage, up and down stairs, escalators, lifts, endless passageways.
We took the metro to Santiago Bernabeu Station. Real Madrid's stadium is right next to the stop. You can tour the... more travel advice
We saw two of these Museo del Jamons near Puerta del Sol. They were always packed because they were doing a promotion... more travel advice
IreneMcKay's Related Pages
Madrid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "¡Bienvenido a Madrid!/Welcome to Madrid!"
- "Madrid is where I live"
- "Madrid: My home for 3 fantastic weeks!"
- "Home is where you're always from"
- "WONDERFUL MADRID"
- "As we say in Andalucia, Madri"
- "Hablemos de Madrid (Let's talk about Madrid)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madrid
- Hotels in Madrid
- Transportation in Madrid
- Nightlife in Madrid
- Restaurants in Madrid
- Shopping in Madrid
- Warnings and Dangers in Madrid
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Madrid
- 27 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Madrid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madrid
Top 10 Pages
- Hong Kong Intro, 54 reviews, 123 photos
- Dubai Intro, 43 reviews, 116 photos
- Melaka Intro, 34 reviews, 112 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 41 reviews, 97 photos
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 32 reviews, 100 photos
- Luang Prabang Intro, 33 reviews, 95 photos
- Rome Intro, 32 reviews, 95 photos
- Ipoh Intro, 26 reviews, 87 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 35 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Reykjavík Intro, 25 reviews, 80 photos