"Madrid" Madrid by IreneMcKay

Madrid Travel Guide: 5,356 reviews and 10,928 photos

First visit to Spain

This was our first visit to Spain. We spent an evening and one full day in Madrid before flying off to Lisbon for a few days. Then back to Madrid for three full days. Our original intention had been to spend two of those days on daytrips to Toledo and either Segovia or Avilla, but when we returned to Madrid, I got really ill and while I refused to stay in bed, it took me all my time to look at Madrid never mind go anywhere else. Oh well, such is life. This gave us the opportunity to see more of Madrid and do our favourite bits again in a more relaxed manner.

Our holiday

We started our holiday by staying in a hotel in Barajas and travelling in to the city. Although the journey in took a while, it was worth it for the relative peace and quiet at night. For the second part of our trip, we stayed in a hotel in Alsacia which also proved to be nice and quiet, plus it was on the red metro line number two which is the most useful line for sightseeing.

Favourites

Among the things we enjoyed in Madrid I would highly rate the beautiful cathedral which can be seen from so many parts of the city. I loved Retriro Park. We had a great picnic in the rose garden there and even in December there were still some beautiful roses. It must be stunning in summer. I loved the views especially watching the sunset from Parque de la Montana (Mountain Park) and I loved the Cervantes sculptures in Plaza de Espana. Plus there was always just such a lot of street life and activity going on with crowds of locals, revellers, tourists thronging the streets, street entertainers and people in fancy dress everywhere. Madrid certainly had atmosphere.

• Pros:Lots to see and do, lots going on at all times, good public transport.
  • Cons:Changing lines on the metro can prove epic especially with luggage, up and down stairs, escalators, lifts, endless passageways.
  • Last visit to Madrid: Dec 2011
  • Intro Updated Jun 23, 2013

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Hello, Irene!~ I see Madrid is certainly worth a visit or even two. Thanks for sharing!~

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2012 at 1:34 PM

They've moved the baby heads! They were inside on the lower level when I was in Atocha in Oct 2010. Great page! BTW, it's the PRADO museum. Prada's an Italian designer! ; ]

IreneMcKay

“get out and see as much as you can”

Badges & Stats in Madrid