"Bandar Seri Begawan" Bandar Seri Begawan by IreneMcKay
Bandar Seri Begawan Travel Guide: 316 reviews and 1,048 photos
We realised it was high time we went off to explore some of Borneo. So we decided we would fly to Bandar Seri Begawan (BSB) on Royal Brunei Air, spend a couple of nights there, take a ferry to Labuan Island, spend the night, take the ferry to Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, then fly back to BSB, bring in the New Year at the luxurious Empire hotel, then back to Hong Kong.
The first surprise we got when we arrived in BSB in the evening of Christmas Day, was that there were quite a few indications of Christmas around and when we went for a stroll through the dark city streets, people we passed wished us a Happy Christmas. Some car drivers even called this to us from the windows of their cars. It seemed a pretty friendly place.
The most famous sight of BSB is the spectacular Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque, but there is also the water village, Kampung Ayer, with its houses on stilts. There is the Royal Regalia Museum, the lovely wooden church of St Andrews, twelve roofs house - the former home of the British High Commissioner, a Chinese temple, a busy market and some lovely nature reserves.
- Pros:Very friendly, wealthy - most people seem to have benefitted from oil money
- Cons:Could do with a bit more beer!!!
We brought the New Year in here together with the rest of Brunei. The hotel is often referred to as a six star hotel.... more travel advice
I loved visiting this beautiful old house which was once the home of the British High Commisioner to Brunei. The... more travel advice
IreneMcKay's Related Pages
Bandar Seri Begawan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bandar Seri Begawan - Capital of Brunei Sultanate"
- "Brunei's capital"
- "BSB - Don't expect the Middle East"
- "Bandar Seri Begawan - Capital of an Oil Sultanate"
- "Bandar Seri Begawan"
- "Poor Country Inhabited by Rich People"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bandar Seri Begawan
- Hotels in Bandar Seri Begawan
- Transportation in Bandar Seri Begawan
- Nightlife in Bandar Seri Begawan
- Restaurants in Bandar Seri Begawan
- Shopping in Bandar Seri Begawan
- Warnings and Dangers in Bandar Seri Begawan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bandar Seri Begawan
- 7 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Bandar Seri Begawan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bandar Seri Begawan
Photos in Bandar Seri BegawanSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Hong Kong Intro, 53 reviews, 122 photos
- Melaka Intro, 34 reviews, 112 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 41 reviews, 97 photos
- Dubai Intro, 39 reviews, 98 photos
- Luang Prabang Intro, 33 reviews, 95 photos
- Rome Intro, 32 reviews, 95 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 35 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Reykjavík Intro, 25 reviews, 80 photos
- Madrid Intro, 27 reviews, 63 photos
- Seoul Intro, 21 reviews, 68 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (52)
Latest Bandar Seri Begawan hotel reviews
- Empire Hotel And Country Club
- 441 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Pusat Belia Youth Hostel
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 10, 2013
- Brunei Hotel
- 157 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Mangrove Paradise Resort
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2013
- Abdul Razak Apartments
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 28, 2012
- Traders Inn Bandar Seri Begawan
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
- Terrace Hotel
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Rizqun International Hotel
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Radisson Hotel Brunei Darussalam
- 248 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Jubilee Hotel
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Riverview Hotel
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 23, 2013