"Revisiting Kaohsiung" Top 5 Page for this destination Kaohsiung by IreneMcKay
Kaohsiung Travel Guide: 192 reviews and 518 photos
Kaohsiung is the second largest city in Taiwan and one of its major ports. It is on the coast and its main sights include a river, lakes and an island, so it really is a city on the water. We first visited around ten years ago and I think in many ways Kaohsiung has improved since then. It is now easier to get around due to the new metro and some areas of the city have been beautified.
Kaohsiung is not a spectacular city, but it is a city that makes the most of what it has got. For example, its main river - Love River- which was once majorly polluted has been cleaned up; walkways and cycle tracks line its banks and several pleasant cafes and bars are situated next to it. Kaohsiung's new metro system is brightened up by art work, for example, The Dome of Light at Formosa Boulevard Station, rows of daffodil-like windmills and a waterfall at Central Park Station.
People in Kaohsiung are friendly and generally try hard to be helpful even when they don't know a lot of English.
Our overall stay was very laid back and relaxing. There were lots of great places to eat and drink and enough to keep us occupied for a few days.
We were very lucky to get to Kaohsiung at all as there was a powerful typhoon bearing down on Hong Kong up until the day before our departure. It was expected to make a direct hit on Hong Kong and was expected to cause lots of damage. Then it veered away from Hong Kong and more or less burned itself out before hitting mainland China. It did cause large amounts of rainfall in Taiwan which luckily for us ended more or less on our arrival day.
- Pros:Relaxing, a few sights, a base to explore southern Taiwan, good restaurants, friendly people
We stayed in the Ambassador Hotel, Kaohsiung which is located on the Love River. This was a good location as we could... more travel advice
To get to this night market take the metro to Formosa Boulevard Station and follow the exits for the night market. Don't... more travel advice
IreneMcKay's Related Pages
Kaohsiung Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A colorful city & great temples"
- "Revisiting Kaohsiung"
- "Keeweechic's Kaohsiung"
- "Taiwan's second largest city"
- "City by the Sea"
- "Kao-hsiung County (chinese: °ª¶¯¿¤¥«)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kaohsiung
- Hotels in Kaohsiung
- Transportation in Kaohsiung
- Nightlife in Kaohsiung
- Restaurants in Kaohsiung
- Shopping in Kaohsiung
- Warnings and Dangers in Kaohsiung
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kaohsiung
- 9 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Kaohsiung?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kaohsiung
Photos in KaohsiungSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Hong Kong Intro, 84 reviews, 216 photos
- Vancouver Intro, 58 reviews, 239 photos
- Dubai Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 46 reviews, 136 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 50 reviews, 127 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melaka Intro, 34 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lago d' Iseo Intro, 28 reviews, 117 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 41 reviews, 97 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 92 photos
- Luang Prabang Intro, 33 reviews, 95 photos