"Historic Sites and Good Hotels" Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington by cjg1
Arlington Travel Guide: 486 reviews and 1,166 photos
Arlington is just a short drive, ride or walk from D.C. across the Potomac. It is also the home of the Pentagon, The Marine Corps War Memorial of Iwo Jima and Arlington National Cemetery. If history is not your forte then try some shopping at The Fashion Centre at Pentagon City.
We are often in this area visiting family and Arlington is a great place for us to find a reasonably priced hotel not far from D.C. Our last trip to Arlington in April 2010 was brief since we we catching a flight out the next morning so we spent the afternoon at Arlington National Cemetery.
Arlington National Cemetery is a place that I think every American should visit. Visiting the cemetery has an impact on any visitor but especially as an American; seeing all the lives lost in defense of our country over the years on foreign and domestic soil.
Standing on a hill and seeing rows and rows of white headstones is a sight you will not soon forget. Despite it being a solemn place; there are some beautiful monuments, statues and headstones througout the cemetery.
Arlington House is also a spot in the cemetery to visit; after all the Lee family once lived here and in that very house (before it was a cemetery of course).
The Tomb of the Unknowns is guarded 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and in any weather by Tomb Guard sentinels. There are three reliefs, each having one relief commander and about six sentinels. The three reliefs are divided by height so that those in each guard change ceremony look similar. The sentinels rotate walks every hour in the winter and at night, and every half-hour in the day during the summer. Changing of the "guards" draws a big crowd especially in the summer months.
- In a nutshell:Pay Your Respects to Brave Americans at Arlington Cemetery
Location and price is why I chose this hotel. The location was within walking distance of the metro stop in the mall... more travel advice
During the Memorial Day weekend we observed soldiers adorning each grave with an American Flag. It created a stunning... more travel advice
cjg1's Related Pages
Arlington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cemetery, Pentagon, VT-meeting and more!"
- "b1bob does Arlington"
- "Arlington has a little of Everything"
- "Historic Sites and Good Hotels"
- "A Salute to our Heroes"
- "The Air Force Memorial"
- "Welcome to Arlington National Cemetery"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arlington
- Hotels in Arlington
- Transportation in Arlington
- Nightlife in Arlington
- Restaurants in Arlington
- Shopping in Arlington
- Warnings and Dangers in Arlington
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arlington
- 35 Reviews
- 108 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (133)
Have you been to Arlington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arlington
Photos in ArlingtonSee All Photos (108)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 351 reviews, 1414 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 191 reviews, 644 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 188 reviews, 529 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Intro, 151 reviews, 535 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Lauderdale Intro, 112 reviews, 474 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providenciales Island Intro, 99 reviews, 461 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 186 reviews, 366 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mahé Intro, 86 reviews, 397 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maui Intro, 93 reviews, 368 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 105 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues