"Guilded Age Mansions and More" Top 5 Page for this destination Newport by cjg1

Newport Travel Guide: 437 reviews and 1,463 photos

My History with Newport

Over the years Newport has become one of my many homes away from home. I do not live here but I feel comfortable and have started to know the town like I do. I have favorite places to go for food, for drinks, for just watching the world go by.

I have visited Newport numerous times over the years and know the town like the back of my hand. I prefer to visit in the Fall, Spring and during the holiday season when the crazy summer crowds are not running a muck. Visiting Newport during the holiday season is an experience not to be missed. The Breakers, Marble House and The Elms are open for the holidays and are decked out in beautiful holiday splendor. Christmas time is a favorite for me and I love seeing the houses decorated for Christmas. I make it a point to buy a Christmas ornament every year in Newport to commemorate my holiday visit.

Liz and I have a Preservation Society Membership (only $75 a year for a household of two) that gives us unlimited visits to the mansions of Newport as well as a 10% discount in the Mansion shops. I would recommend that any person who loves Newport invest in a membership and enjoy the splendor of the Guilded Age Mansions.

Historical Places and Fun Times

.Newport is filled with beautiful mansions, parks, churches, beaches and historical site. There is so much to see and do in Newport. Some of my favorite places are: Ocean Drive, Ft. Adams State Park, Cliff Walk, Marble House, The Breakers, The Ems, Chateau Sur Mer, Rosecliff, Ochre Court, Touro Park, Bellcourt and the Wharf.

Newport also has some great shops, restaurants and pubs. Our trips to Newport have always turned into shopping sprees for Liz and I. We have some favorite restaurants and pubs that we return to faithfully when we visit. Our favorite Restaurant in Newport was Asterisk. The restaurant used to have incredible food and wonderful service. We have had great meals there. Unfortunately over the past couple of years and several visits this has turned down hill. For that special meal we now truly enjoy The White Horse Tavern. Yesterday's is the place we love to stop in for drinks after enjoying anice walk. The Wharf Pub has become a favorite spot of ours with a good atmospher, good drinks and great snacks including what I consider the best nachos in the world.

Newport has some wonderful Historic B&B's such as : The Abigail Stoneman Inn, Adele Turner Inn and Cliffside. We have been fortunate to stay at such lovely places for romantic getaways.

Newport and Liz

When we first began dating I was thrilled to discover that Liz loved Newport and had visited many times together. My first trip here with Liz was the weekend of December 15, 2007. We had a great weekend although getting around the sidewalks was an adventure as they had a lot of snow Thursday that week and we got more Saturday night while we were there. It was a wonderful winter wonderland in Newport with the snow covered houses.

We have visited Newport for various occasions over the past two years such as our anniversaries and Liz's birthday.Most recently we spent Easter weekend 2012 in Newport with the beautiful daffodils in bloom and then a short visit Memorial Day weekend. We've also come to Newport to see the Christmas Decorations and the various festivals in Newport such as the Seafood Festival. We've had such wonderful experience in Newport. It's important to share the love of travel with the person you plan to spend the rest of your life with. I'm glad that Newport holds a special place in both of our hearts.

• Pros:America's Castles by the Sea
  • Last visit to Newport: Feb 2014
  • Intro Updated Feb 7, 2014

• penpoison's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2011 at 7:52 PM

thanx for the info regarding newport. planning to go there in a couple of days and your info has been extremely helpful.

• Jun 30, 2011 at 3:26 PM

My husband and I are the owners of Trinity School House and it is a private residence. If you are in the area and would like to see the inside, I would hope that you would be pleased with the tasteful renovation.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Elegant mansions, beautiful seaside views and plush greenery. What more can anyone need, but also a nice companion to enjoy it with. Great pictures and comments.

• Herkbert's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Hey Chris.. Nice tips and pics on Newport. Quite helpful! Take care.. Tom

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2009 at 7:17 AM

Nice churches and mansions in Newport - you really went all around the place! I want to go up the 40 steps and my kids to the children's playhouse...Norman :)

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2008 at 12:05 PM

nice tips!

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2008 at 10:23 PM

I see I have a lot of exploring todo. Have a great weekend. PJ

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2007 at 9:38 PM

Where's the picture of THE church? :) Time to update your page, dear.

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2006 at 8:21 PM

Never been...

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2004 at 12:44 PM

Friends recommended N. as a day trip from Boston for my visit in fall. Looks indeed like a pretty town ... thanks for the tips and the beautiful pics.

cjg1

“There is no such thing as once in a lifetime unless you didn't like it.”

Badges & Stats in Newport

Have you been to Newport?

Latest Activity in Newport