"Guilded Age Mansions and More" Top 5 Page for this destination Newport by cjg1
Newport Travel Guide: 437 reviews and 1,463 photos
Over the years Newport has become one of my many homes away from home. I do not live here but I feel comfortable and have started to know the town like I do. I have favorite places to go for food, for drinks, for just watching the world go by.
I have visited Newport numerous times over the years and know the town like the back of my hand. I prefer to visit in the Fall, Spring and during the holiday season when the crazy summer crowds are not running a muck. Visiting Newport during the holiday season is an experience not to be missed. The Breakers, Marble House and The Elms are open for the holidays and are decked out in beautiful holiday splendor. Christmas time is a favorite for me and I love seeing the houses decorated for Christmas. I make it a point to buy a Christmas ornament every year in Newport to commemorate my holiday visit.
Liz and I have a Preservation Society Membership (only $75 a year for a household of two) that gives us unlimited visits to the mansions of Newport as well as a 10% discount in the Mansion shops. I would recommend that any person who loves Newport invest in a membership and enjoy the splendor of the Guilded Age Mansions.
.Newport is filled with beautiful mansions, parks, churches, beaches and historical site. There is so much to see and do in Newport. Some of my favorite places are: Ocean Drive, Ft. Adams State Park, Cliff Walk, Marble House, The Breakers, The Ems, Chateau Sur Mer, Rosecliff, Ochre Court, Touro Park, Bellcourt and the Wharf.
Newport also has some great shops, restaurants and pubs. Our trips to Newport have always turned into shopping sprees for Liz and I. We have some favorite restaurants and pubs that we return to faithfully when we visit. Our favorite Restaurant in Newport was Asterisk. The restaurant used to have incredible food and wonderful service. We have had great meals there. Unfortunately over the past couple of years and several visits this has turned down hill. For that special meal we now truly enjoy The White Horse Tavern. Yesterday's is the place we love to stop in for drinks after enjoying anice walk. The Wharf Pub has become a favorite spot of ours with a good atmospher, good drinks and great snacks including what I consider the best nachos in the world.
Newport has some wonderful Historic B&B's such as : The Abigail Stoneman Inn, Adele Turner Inn and Cliffside. We have been fortunate to stay at such lovely places for romantic getaways.
When we first began dating I was thrilled to discover that Liz loved Newport and had visited many times together. My first trip here with Liz was the weekend of December 15, 2007. We had a great weekend although getting around the sidewalks was an adventure as they had a lot of snow Thursday that week and we got more Saturday night while we were there. It was a wonderful winter wonderland in Newport with the snow covered houses.
We have visited Newport for various occasions over the past two years such as our anniversaries and Liz's birthday.Most recently we spent Easter weekend 2012 in Newport with the beautiful daffodils in bloom and then a short visit Memorial Day weekend. We've also come to Newport to see the Christmas Decorations and the various festivals in Newport such as the Seafood Festival. We've had such wonderful experience in Newport. It's important to share the love of travel with the person you plan to spend the rest of your life with. I'm glad that Newport holds a special place in both of our hearts.
- Pros:America's Castles by the Sea
- See All Good Drinks with a View
- See All Be Careful on the Cliff Walk
- See All Close to Everything
- See All Hyatt Shuttle
- See All Free Parking
cjg1's Related Pages
Newport Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Guilded Age Mansions and More"
- "Newport Mansions and So Much More!"
- "NEWPORT, RHODE ISLAND ~ THE CITY BY THE SEA"
- "Newport, Rhode island"
- "Newport, Rhode Island"
- "A few days in Newport"
- "RNC REFUGEES 1st STOP"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Newport
- Hotels in Newport
- Transportation in Newport
- Nightlife in Newport
- Restaurants in Newport
- Shopping in Newport
- Warnings and Dangers in Newport
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Newport
- 143 Reviews
- 501 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (74)
Have you been to Newport?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Newport
Photos in NewportSee All Photos (501)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 350 reviews, 1414 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 180 reviews, 628 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Intro, 143 reviews, 502 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Lauderdale Intro, 112 reviews, 474 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providenciales Island Intro, 99 reviews, 461 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 185 reviews, 364 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mahé Intro, 86 reviews, 397 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 105 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua and Barbuda Intro, 87 reviews, 355 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Lucia Intro, 70 reviews, 339 photos, 3 travelogues