"Guilded Age Mansions and More" Top 5 Page for this destination Newport by cjg1
Newport Travel Guide: 496 reviews and 1,623 photos
Over the years Newport has become one of my many homes away from home. I do not live here but I feel comfortable and have started to know the town like I do. I have favorite places to go for food, for drinks, for just watching the world go by.
I have visited Newport numerous times over the years and know the town like the back of my hand. I prefer to visit in the Fall, Spring and during the holiday season when the crazy summer crowds are not running a muck. Visiting Newport during the holiday season is an experience not to be missed. The Breakers, Marble House and The Elms are open for the holidays and are decked out in beautiful holiday splendor. Christmas time is a favorite for me and I love seeing the houses decorated for Christmas. I make it a point to buy a Christmas ornament every year in Newport to commemorate my holiday visit.
Liz and I have a Preservation Society Membership (only $75 a year for a household of two) that gives us unlimited visits to the mansions of Newport as well as a 10% discount in the Mansion shops. I would recommend that any person who loves Newport invest in a membership and enjoy the splendor of the Guilded Age Mansions.
.Newport is filled with beautiful mansions, parks, churches, beaches and historical site. There is so much to see and do in Newport. Some of my favorite places are: Ocean Drive, Ft. Adams State Park, Cliff Walk, Marble House, The Breakers, The Ems, Chateau Sur Mer, Rosecliff, Ochre Court, Touro Park, Bellcourt and the Wharf.
Newport also has some great shops, restaurants and pubs. Our trips to Newport have always turned into shopping sprees for Liz and I. We have some favorite restaurants and pubs that we return to faithfully when we visit. Our favorite Restaurant in Newport is the White Horse Tavern;we have always had great meals there. Yesterday's is the place we love to stop in for drinks after enjoying anice walk. The Wharf Pub has become a favorite spot of ours with a good atmospher, good drinks and great snacks including what I consider the best nachos in the world. A new favorite of ours is the Midtown Oyster Bar which has some amazing food.
Newport has some wonderful Historic B&B's such as : The Abigail Stoneman Inn, Adele Turner Inn and Cliffside. We have been fortunate to stay at such lovely places for romantic getaways. We also enjoy the Hyatt at Goat Island which has some amazing water views and good service.
When we first began dating I was thrilled to discover that Liz loved Newport and had visited many times together. My first trip here with Liz was the weekend of December 15, 2007. We had a great weekend although getting around the sidewalks was an adventure as they had a lot of snow Thursday that week and we got more Saturday night while we were there. It was a wonderful winter wonderland in Newport with the snow covered houses.
We have visited Newport for various occasions over the years such as our anniversaries, Liz's birthday, during the Christmas season and when various food and wine events are being held. Most recently we spent a weekend in March 2015 and had a fun time exploring and doing some of our favorite things. We even experienced a hefty snowstorm while here and had quite the adventure getting around town. As alwys Newport never dissapoints us and we had a great time. It's important to share the love of travel with the person you plan to spend the rest of your life with. I'm glad that Newport holds a special place in both of our hearts.
- Pros:America's Castles by the Sea
- Cons:Very crowded in the summer months
My wife and I were doing some shopping in Newport and came upon this Alex and Ani store. My wife has several of their... more travel advice
Our most recent visit was during the first weekend in March 2015. Of course there was already tons of snow on the ground... more travel advice
- See All Great Mussels and Oysters
- See All Great Seafood
- See All Newport Restaurant Week
- See All Close to Everything
- See All Hyatt Shuttle
cjg1's Related Pages
Newport Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Guilded Age Mansions and More"
- "Newport Mansions and So Much More!"
- "NEWPORT, RHODE ISLAND ~ THE CITY BY THE SEA"
- "Basaic Newport Page"
- "Newport, Rhode island"
- "Newport, Rhode Island"
- "A few days in Newport"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Newport
- Hotels in Newport
- Transportation in Newport
- Nightlife in Newport
- Restaurants in Newport
- Shopping in Newport
- Warnings and Dangers in Newport
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Newport
- 151 Reviews
- 534 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (131)
Have you been to Newport?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Newport
Photos in NewportSee All Photos (534)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 351 reviews, 1414 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 191 reviews, 634 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 186 reviews, 518 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Intro, 151 reviews, 535 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Lauderdale Intro, 112 reviews, 474 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providenciales Island Intro, 99 reviews, 461 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 186 reviews, 366 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mahé Intro, 86 reviews, 397 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 105 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua and Barbuda Intro, 87 reviews, 355 photos, 6 travelogues