"A Nice Waterside Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Portsmouth by cjg1

Portsmouth Travel Guide: 267 reviews and 1,292 photos

Portsmouth the name always makes me think Virginia. So imagine my surprise when I discovered what a true gem this town in New Hampshire is.

The town is actually quite small and reminds me greatly of towns along the Connecticut shore line. South Norwalk before it died off and Milford are two good examples.

My favorite way to enter town is over the old bridge on US1 from Maine and find a parking spot on the street if possible. From there the whole town is walkable and easily covered.

Evenings in the summer there is usually a performance in Prescott Park. My first trip we stumbled upon this and they were doing Oliver which is one of my personal favorites. Performances are posted online and the visitor center has a list available.

Portsmouth is a nice little town and often a stop on our roadtrips North. There are many bars, shops and restaurants to explore in Portsmouth so there is always a reason to stop in. Liz and I always stop at Poco's one of our favorite bar/restaurants for some drinks and a snack. It's always a fun time when we walk around Portsmouth especially in the early and late summer months when the weather is warm and sunny.

During 2012; we visited Portsmouth several times, Cinco de Mayo,Memorial Day Weekend, a few times in June and most recently Labor Day Weekend.

We have been visiting Portsmouth for years. We visit so frequently that we feel as if the town is a second home. We know the bartenders, waitress and shop owners of our favorite places and always feel welcomed back when they see us. It's a great place and we love it here.

• Pros:We always feel welcome and have a great time...
  • Cons:It can get jammed with visitors in the summer months...
  • In a nutshell:It's like we never left...
  • Last visit to Portsmouth: Jan 2013
  • Intro Updated Jan 10, 2013

cjg1

“There is no such thing as once in a lifetime unless you didn't like it.”

Badges & Stats in Portsmouth

Have you been to Portsmouth?

Latest Activity in Portsmouth