"A Nice Waterside Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Portsmouth by cjg1
Portsmouth Travel Guide: 273 reviews and 1,338 photos
Portsmouth the name always makes me think Virginia. So imagine my surprise when I discovered what a true gem this town in New Hampshire is.
The town is actually quite small and reminds me greatly of towns along the Connecticut shore line. South Norwalk before it died off and Milford are two good examples.
My favorite way to enter town is over the old bridge on US1 from Maine and find a parking spot on the street if possible. From there the whole town is walkable and easily covered.
Evenings in the summer there is usually a performance in Prescott Park. My first trip we stumbled upon this and they were doing Oliver which is one of my personal favorites. Performances are posted online and the visitor center has a list available.
Portsmouth is a nice little town and often a stop on our roadtrips North. There are many bars, shops and restaurants to explore in Portsmouth so there is always a reason to stop in. Liz and I always stop at Poco's one of our favorite bar/restaurants for some drinks and a snack. It's always a fun time when we walk around Portsmouth especially in the early and late summer months when the weather is warm and sunny.
Our most recent trip to Portsmouth was during Thansgiving weekend 2014, the weekend before Christmas and then the weekend of New Years. We had fun doing some shopping and visiting our favorite restaurants. Portsmouth is great when the weather is warmer but I do enjoy it when it is less crowded in Fall/Winter.
We have been visiting Portsmouth for years. We visit so frequently that we feel as if the town is a second home. We know the bartenders, waitresses and shop owners of our favorite places and always feel welcomed back when they see us. It's a great place and we love it here.
- Pros:We always feel welcome and have a great time...
- Cons:It can get jammed with visitors in the summer months...
- In a nutshell:It's like we never left...
If you want good pizza in town; this is the place. The restaurant is located in the basement of the Gas Light Building.... more travel advice
- See All A World of Salt
- See All Yeah, we'll pass....
- See All Celebrating Cinco de Mayo
- A Nice Stay in Town
cjg1's Related Pages
Portsmouth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Nice Waterside Town"
- "More Behind the sign"
- "LOVELY PORTSMOUTH - HISTORIC SEAPORT TOWN"
- "Home of the September 21-23 VT Meeting!"
- "New Hampshire seacoast VT meet :)"
- "PORTSMOUTH NEW HAMPSHIRE VT MEET"
- "Portsmouth VT meeting September 21-23, 2007"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Portsmouth
- Hotels in Portsmouth
- Transportation in Portsmouth
- Nightlife in Portsmouth
- Restaurants in Portsmouth
- Shopping in Portsmouth
- Warnings and Dangers in Portsmouth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Portsmouth
- 66 Reviews
- 292 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (130)
Have you been to Portsmouth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Portsmouth
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 350 reviews, 1414 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 191 reviews, 634 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 179 reviews, 507 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Intro, 151 reviews, 535 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Lauderdale Intro, 112 reviews, 474 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providenciales Island Intro, 99 reviews, 461 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 185 reviews, 364 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mahé Intro, 86 reviews, 397 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 105 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua and Barbuda Intro, 87 reviews, 355 photos, 6 travelogues