"A Fun Day in Kona" Top 5 Page for this destination Kailua-Kona by cjg1

Kailua-Kona Travel Guide: 358 reviews and 813 photos

My wife and I arrived in Kailua via the Celebrity century. We tendered into port a little after 7:30 am and began our exploration of this town. Our morning began with a breakfast at Splasher's Grill followed by some sightseeing, drinks and shopping along Aliʻi Drive. We had a fun day with great weather.

King Kamehameha I chose Kailua to be his seat of government when he was chief of Kona. It later became the capital of the unified Kingdom of Hawaii and then was moved to Honolulu.

During our explorations we came upon the Kamakahonu royal residence, Ahuʻena Heiau and Huliheʻe Palace are attractions of the former Hawaiian Monarchy. We also explored the first church of Hawaii, Mokuaikaua Church as well.

This area is very beautiful with nice views of the ocean. I can see why royalty chose this spot as their home.

Kailua-Kona has primarily been a fishing town but in recent years land development and tourism has boomed in the area. Kona is also know for its events such as:the annual Ironman World Championship triathlon, the annual Kona Coffee Festival, and the Hawaiian International Billfish Tournament.

Kona Coffee is well know world wide and is one of the more expensive types in the world. Only coffee grown on the slopes of Hualalai and Mauna Loa of the Big Island can be called "Kona Coffee". My wife and I are not coffee drinkers so this is lost on us but we do find it makes a great gift for coffee lovers back home.

• Last visit to Kailua-Kona: Feb 2013
  • Intro Updated Mar 15, 2013

Comments

cjg1

“There is no such thing as once in a lifetime unless you didn't like it.”

Badges & Stats in Kailua-Kona

Have you been to Kailua-Kona?

Latest Activity in Kailua-Kona