"A Fun Day in Kona" Top 5 Page for this destination Kailua-Kona by cjg1
Kailua-Kona Travel Guide: 370 reviews and 861 photos
My wife and I arrived in Kailua via the Celebrity century. We tendered into port a little after 7:30 am and began our exploration of this town. Our morning began with a breakfast at Splasher's Grill followed by some sightseeing, drinks and shopping along Aliʻi Drive. We had a fun day with great weather.
King Kamehameha I chose Kailua to be his seat of government when he was chief of Kona. It later became the capital of the unified Kingdom of Hawaii and then was moved to Honolulu.
During our explorations we came upon the Kamakahonu royal residence, Ahuʻena Heiau and Huliheʻe Palace are attractions of the former Hawaiian Monarchy. We also explored the first church of Hawaii, Mokuaikaua Church as well.
This area is very beautiful with nice views of the ocean. I can see why royalty chose this spot as their home.
Kailua-Kona has primarily been a fishing town but in recent years land development and tourism has boomed in the area. Kona is also know for its events such as:the annual Ironman World Championship triathlon, the annual Kona Coffee Festival, and the Hawaiian International Billfish Tournament.
Kona Coffee is well know world wide and is one of the more expensive types in the world. Only coffee grown on the slopes of Hualalai and Mauna Loa of the Big Island can be called "Kona Coffee". My wife and I are not coffee drinkers so this is lost on us but we do find it makes a great gift for coffee lovers back home.
Free Local guides and Maps are plentiful around town. It's always good to have a map and a listing of what the area has... more travel advice
cjg1's Related Pages
Kailua-Kona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kona Coast Visit"
- "A Fun Day in Kona"
- "Where Pele lives"
- "Kona Coast"
- "Kona and Kau"
- "Hawaii Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kailua-Kona
- Hotels in Kailua-Kona
- Transportation in Kailua-Kona
- Nightlife in Kailua-Kona
- Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
- Shopping in Kailua-Kona
- Warnings and Dangers in Kailua-Kona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kailua-Kona
- 26 Reviews
- 126 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (133)
Have you been to Kailua-Kona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kailua-Kona
Photos in Kailua-KonaSee All Photos (126)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 351 reviews, 1414 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 195 reviews, 659 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 200 reviews, 570 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Intro, 151 reviews, 535 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Lauderdale Intro, 112 reviews, 474 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providenciales Island Intro, 99 reviews, 461 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 186 reviews, 367 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mahé Intro, 86 reviews, 397 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maui Intro, 96 reviews, 379 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 105 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues